ckreef

KK - Kill a Chicken Experiment

Still a very nice looking bird, Charles, even if you thought the rub was a tad burned. Skin looks great. Can't wait to hear how 450F comes out.

BTW - see that you were using the "infrared deflector" on this one. A good reminder to use mine (out of sight, out of mind).

54 minutes ago, tony b said:

Still a very nice looking bird, Charles, even if you thought the rub was a tad burned. Skin looks great. Can't wait to hear how 450F comes out.

BTW - see that you were using the "infrared deflector" on this one. A good reminder to use mine (out of sight, out of mind).

That is my goto rotisserie setup. Can't wait to see how it works with 2 birds in the basket. 

On 9/25/2016 at 2:45 AM, ckreef said:

What I was referring to (just my theory and what I've noticed from other people joetisserie cooks)  KK's firebox is setup so all the incoming air is forced up through the burning coals. This allows less airflow and thus a smaller bed of coals to maintain a particular temperature. The firebox and super insulating qualities of a KK both contribute to a smaller bed of coals. That smaller bed of coals is a cooler fire. 

This is compared to other ceramic Kamados where some of the airflow bypasses the firebox. That coupled with less insulation properties means a larger bed of coals to maintain that same temperature. With a larger bed of coals being a hotter fire which means a slightly drier air. The drier air tends to cook the chicken faster and it's not as moist. Way better than an oven but not as good as a KK. 

Now that is just the conclusion I've come to after seeing lots of other chicken rotisserie cooks. 

I think cooler is not the best choice of words..  It's less "hot airflow", more convection heat which is definitely less drying..  

• Like 1