tomahawk66

Cooking on a friend's Akorn

Recently over at a friends house and I've become the defacto "BBQ" guy and so they asked me to do the grilling using their Akorn. It was an interesting experience, for 300 bucks or whatever they retail at in the US, it seems to be not a bad bit of kit. However, I've been spoilt by cooking on a KK for the last 10 months or so!

The main issue they were having was getting the thing up to a decent temp. It was a challenge... I used a Weber Chimney and then a hair dryer to get her going - far removed from my usual blowtorch a couple of spots in the coals and then just walk away for 10 mins with the damper wide open and the vent cover pulled out (then come running back as my wife tells me it's hit 600 again!) - but again, unfair to compare of course!

Still, not a bad little cooker - but the metal gets lethal after cooking for a while!!

Me with hair dryer:

c43e35d085276542661f4ab78199984a.jpg

• Like 1

I started my kamado experience with an Akorn and used it maybe 3 years before buying my KK's.  Akorns have their quirks but are a very capable kamado and can run 24 hours at 225*. 

Getting it to  nuclear temps  should not be an issue. I've done 800* pizza on an Akorn. I would say if there is a problem getting it up to temp something is wrong. Hard to say what that could be but I never had an issue getting it up to temp. 

There are a lot of Akorn owners on the Kamado Guru forum. You should send them over there, somebody will sort it out.