Pequod

Beef Ribs Using The Cold Smoker

Have used the cold smoker a few more times since posting this. Some findings:

1) When smoking some cheese with apple chips yesterday, the chips tended to extinguish themselves periodically. I had to zap them with my kitchen torch 2-3 times to get them moving again.

2) When smoking my bacon with hickory today, decided to try a bed of pellets first, and then topped off with chips. That is, I loaded pellets to about the level of the holes on the side of the tube and lit those through the hole until they held a steady flame of their own. I let the flame go (lid off the smoker) for about 10 minutes until there was a nice, glowing bed of embers, then topped it with hickory chips. The chips burned continuously without needing a restart.

Only one sample point, but it does seem to help to have a bed of something glowing before adding your smoke wood.

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Only one sample point, but it does seem to help to have a bed of something glowing before adding your smoke wood.

Dennis posted that he lights a small chunk of charcoal and drops that on top of the bottom section of chips (like you, up to the holes on the sides) and then tops that with more chips in the column. 

Will definitely try that the next time, as I had the same issue as you with having to periodically re-light the chips on a longer smoke.