Pequod

Beef Ribs Using The Cold Smoker

Take my money please someone!!!

you answered my question about the difference between that and the smoke pot.  

Ckreef the only thing about pellets is to make sure that you get 100% wood pellets without filler.  Most pellets you buy are filler cheap wood with a small portion of the actual wood flavour ie peach etc. 

Ia thinking that I need one

46 minutes ago, 5698k said:

I'd settle for one grill, two different cooks.

Rob

Different meats, but having done brisket and pork ribs with the smoke pot two weeks ago and beef ribs with the cold smoker today, I feel like the results are similar for these low n slow cooks. The difference is in the accessibility, controllability, and versatility of the cold smoker. You probably don't want to use the pot above 300 and can't use it for cold smoking, but I could use the cold smoker at all temps and with controllable intensity. The only downside is that you can't use your guru at the same time. 

12 minutes ago, tomahawk66 said:

Ok... so how many of us have had our minds changed on the cold smoker by this epic cook?!
[Raises hand]

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

lol, will be interesting to see how many cold smokers Dennis sells this week. 

• Like 1

wow halfsmoke that looks fantastic excellent cook indeed

Now i dont remember if i was talking to dennis on this or i read in a post but i thought he told me he was experimenting and removed a tile and  drilled a hole above the fire box and that was better for the cold smoker if that is the case then that would leave the guru port to use as intended and also use the smoker now i have no idea where the hole was drilled but if its above the firebox i bet its better smoking

26 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

Now i dont remember if i was talking to dennis on this or i read in a post but i thought he told me he was experimenting and removed a tile and  drilled a hole above the fire box and that was better for the cold smoker if that is the case then that would leave the guru port to use as intended and also use the smoker now i have no idea where the hole was drilled but if its above the firebox i bet its better smoking

Interesting. It seems to me that wherever the smoke enters you would need some sort of diffuser to get even smoke distribution. If it enters below the firebox then the charcoal basket acts as a diffuser. If above, it would need to be diffused before hitting any food grates. Not much space between the charcoal basket and food grates, so wonder how that would work. Turbulence is one of the best diffusers there is, so maybe injected into a higher circulation region directly above the coals. 

44 minutes ago, Stile88 said:

I think for true cold smoking (no lit coals) above the firebox would work fine but......... 

In this hot smoking application you really want it coming in below the coals. The hot coals are pulling air (the smoke) up through themselves. This allows the hot coals to burn off the volatiles creating thin blue smoke. Above the firebox in this application might just produce white smoke. 

Just a thought. 

9 hours ago, ckreef said:

I think for true cold smoking (no lit coals) above the firebox would work fine but......... 

In this hot smoking application you really want it coming in below the coals. The hot coals are pulling air (the smoke) up through themselves. This allows the hot coals to burn off the volatiles creating thin blue smoke. Above the firebox in this application might just produce white smoke. 

Just a thought. 

You might be right i just remember him mentioning this but again this is supposed to be a cold smoker and we want it to be both i agree it should be below but if you are at flame level that just might work 

I am sold on this but now if you have a guru you cant use it at same time maybe down line dennis can add a second port or maybe we are fine without useing the guru 

Wondering if you could make a connector tube between the Guru fan outlet and the cold smoker air inlet to be able to use both at the same time? Let the Guru control the airflow like normal. Only concern might be keeping the smoker chips going if the Guru fan didn't run often enough. 

35 minutes ago, tony b said:

Wondering if you could make a connector tube between the Guru fan outlet and the cold smoker air inlet to be able to use both at the same time? Let the Guru control the airflow like normal. Only concern might be keeping the smoker chips going if the Guru fan didn't run often enough. 

The results of the @ckreef experiment suggest you wouldn't want to try to put the guru fan and smoker in series, although maybe it could work in parallel, with guru fan and smoke generator both feeding into the KK guru port. Would need to restrict flow direction, though, so you aren't blowing air into the smoker and smoke into the guru fan.