tomahawk66

Franklin's BBQ Pork Ribs

Cooking for a couple of SWMBO's colleagues tonight who are town from the UK office for a week.

Had bought 4 good size SLC pork ribs from the butcher. They are Canadian and fresh (most of the pork ribs I can get here in Singapore are frozen) they are about a kilo per slab (2.2lbs)

I'm following the method from Franklin's BBQ book with a few modifications:

First I salted the slabs and let them dry brine over night.

Then I filled R2D2 (her name has been changed from 'Big blue' by my buddy's star wars obsessed 3 year old!) With coco char on top of a little left over lump from my grilling session last weekend. 30 seconds with the propane torch got one small area lit (super easy as almost immediately the half burned lump under started burning)

A half turn open damper and quarter open vents then walked away to begin prep as I was in no rush to get up to temp I thought I'd let her take her time.

Ribs ready for rubbin'

faa84a29459de79032dbc77463673ce7.jpg

Pepper, garlic powder and paprika for a simple rub:

cfbf850de8f7cf81182795a9a5889efe.jpg

Popped a few handfuls of Hickory wood chips in a foil pouch with the only opening like a funnel down towards the bottom of the charcoal basket. (Forgot to take a photo before hand so, if the pouch survives I'll share a pic.) As I wanted to spread out the smoke release over a period of time with half the chips I soaked them. Now I know a lot of people say that it doesn't make much difference or that the water really doesn't get into the wood so I put them and the water in my chamber vacuum sealer - theory being that as the vacuum is created it pulls air out of the wood which in turn forces waster in. When it was happening you could see the water fizzing, first from the air escaping from the submerged wood and then just because the vacuum starts to evaporate the water.

Here's the chamber vacuum sealer:

679f55f55e56f0e871e434c659301cc3.jpg

With the wood on and the deflector in place I gave it a while to heat up and get that nice blue smoke going and then on with the ribs. Did them on two levels coz they were so long!

1bddb55d6ea903fce021634e40628144.jpg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, tomahawk66 said:

Franklin advocates wrapping with foil once the bark is formed - I assume because his big 60 rib racks stick burner looses quite a bit of moisture.

What say you? Wrap in foil or no need in the KK?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

I would say no need for foil in a kk 

Excellent cook Tom

• Like 1

Nice looking ribs. 

I think ribs is one of those cuts that can't really have a standard time applied to them. Lots of people want to do some version of 3-2-1 when they  really need to go by how thick they are. Thinner ribs would just take less time. My last 2 rib cooks were loin back ribs that were very thick and meaty for ribs and took 6 hours without foil. Your ribs look a bit thinner so maybe only 4 hours would have worked. 

No matter they look delicious. I would have torn into them. 

Edited by ckreef