tinyfish

Flank Steak Pinwheels

Just now, tomahawk66 said:

Wow! They look epic! Could you share KK set up and cooking time? Looks like you are using the lower grill there and cooking direct, are you cooking to an IT or just going by feel?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

You are right, cooking direct on the lower grill. I lit the charcoal in four spots to get hot coals over a wider area.  I let the KK get to about 400f but not heat soaked. 

I cooked the pin wheels by feel. Since flank steak doesn't need long to cook it didn't take very long(didn't time maybe 8min or so??) . The pinwheels were about 1.25" thick.

You just flip top and bottom? Or give the sides some grill time?

I was thinking of cooking something similar but doing it sous vide while whole and then cutting and searing.

My KK's default set up is with the basket splitter in with only a 1/4 basket of coals and the upper grill upside down in the search position as during week nights I use it for sear finishing sous vide meat

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

@tomahawk66 only cooked top and bottom.

I have never sous vide anything so I can't help with that. I'm not sure what temperature you should sous vide the pinwheels too. I'm not sure there would be any advantage to sous viding first.

Your set up would work with the basket splitter as long as you don't have too many pinwheels to cook at once.