Pequod

Pork Belly Futures

We source some of our meat from Polyface Farm in the Shenandoah Valley, so when they ran a rare two for one sale on pork bellies, our future became clear. Polyface was highlighted prominently in Michael Pollan's book, Omnivore's Dilemma, and has since been featured in films like Food, Inc. To many, they are the prototype for how farming should be done. They believe in getting to know your farmer and your food. 

Meet Squeaker:

IMG_1611.JPG 

Squeaker has been parted in two. The first half will be eaten today using Steve Raichlen's recipe for Pork Belly Steam Buns. Here it is rubbed up with Raichlen's 5-4-3-2-1 Asian Rub:

IMG_1612.JPG

Squeaker's other half has been rubbed with cure, black pepper, and maple syrup. This half will become bacon next week. 

IMG_1614.JPG

One pork belly. Two futures. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

gives me an idea of what to do with tofu since tofu and pork Belly are pretty much the same thing. 

I don't know about that statement. After me and Mrs skreef both did a test tofu cook last night I'll take the pork belly hands down any day. Not even close to the same thing IMHO.