Jeff

Looking around, at least for now

Just wanted to give you all a little background in case I end up posting here.

I bought a "Richard Johnson" K7 back in early 2000s, the "better" Sacramento days, as I understand. It has served me very well over the years and is still mainly intact. 

Unfortunately looking at the lack of repair parts (I've got a dislodged top-cap spider) and how the customer service from RJ has apparently degraded over the years, I'm considering buying a replacement.

Jeff

San Francisco area

myob7.jpg

Yes, that has been my path too, although my K7 fell apart faster.

I visited East Germany just after the wall fell. It was common in those days to buy a BMW in West Germany, drive it while on vacation, then have it shipped home. I tried telling my hosts with a straight face that I wanted to do the same thing with a Trabant. (Remember the car-casses lining the road to freedom, as people overloaded Trabants while fleeing, and they broke down?)

The K7 was my Trabant, my KK is my BMW. My KK works a lot better than my K7 ever did. All the little things. You'll have no regrets if you decide to switch.

As another POSK owner (my K7 was one of the first batch made in Indonesia, so it didn't suck as bad as the later ones), you will not regret upgrading to whatever size KK works for you. I learned a lot about ceramic smoking and grilling on the POSK, and back then, their Forum was almost as awesome as this one (til RJ started "banning" people left and right). You know in your heart what the right thing to do is, just follow your conscience! 

Never owning the other brand I can't compare. However, I will say that everything Dennis stands for is represented in the Komodo Kamado. 

His engineering quality, design, warranty and customer support is the best that I have ever seen.  

Buying a KK is nothing but quality and you will be amazed with the customer service end of this product.  

Cant wait to see what you purchase.  I currently own a 23 and a 32 and love them!!

Jeff,

The other major brands of ceramic cookers will do a good job for you ( I still own and cook on 2 of them), however my KK makes them look like just clay cooking pots.  The substance and quality difference is amazing.     

After owning and cooking my KK........I wish I would have found out about them sooner.  My money would have been better spent on two KK's upfront. 

Best of luck with your decision.  

Jon B.

• Like 2

That I see "Owners" beneath my name tells me that this isn't a secret, but I've got a 22" Supreme Hi-Cap being delivered tomorrow (in creme pebble, as I recall). Wish I didn't have a week full of meetings so that I didn't have to wait until the weekend to uncrate and fire it up!

Thanks for the offers of showing off your own KKs! I had a great couple calls with Dennis and figured that this was the time. 

As much as many malign the Richard Johnson pieces, the pre-Mexico ones were better than most of their competitors' product. I'd still rather cook on an intact K7 than a BGE, for example. 

Once mine arrives and I get it going, you'll no doubt see some photos of it, properly smoking away.

• Like 1

Stopped by my favorite local butcher and grabbed some beef ribs (trim from their in-house dry-aged racks) and a rack of pork baby back (among other delectables). Two refrigerators makes getting the rub on them for a day in advance is such a luxury. Now to find the hickory chips after the move...