MacKenzie

Bacon Ends and Pasta

For those who smoke bacon on the KK and do their own slicing there are always ends left over and some time I use them in baked beans, or as a topping for pizza but here is another use. A good friend of mine put me onto this idea and I thought it was great and tried it today.

Slice some onions and soft them in oil and add the leftover bacon ends.

Onion Bacon Ends.jpg

Added some homemade chicken stock made from the bones of a rotisserie chicken cook. Heated things up while the homemade pasta cooked. Whisked an egg yolk and added it to the chicken broth in the pan. Top the pasta with the bacon onion and broth. Added some fresh oregano and Parmesan cheese. Quick easy and very tasty.

Pasta Dinner 1.jpg

Pasta Dinner.jpg

• Like 2

Most of my chickens are those antibiotic free types so I like to use their bones to make stock.

Use all the bones, add onion ( leave skin on, just cut into half or quarters), garlic, carrot, celery, bay leaves,  salt and pepper corns (and any other spice you think you'd like), cover barely with water put the stock pot in the oven set it for about 180F- 200F, do not let it boil, and leave it there for 12 hours or more is better, what ever. When you get a chance drain everything off,  bottle the liquid and freeze. None of the veggies need to be cut up very much.

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

Thanks everyone.  :smt023 :smt023

@dstr, yes, I agree about the pressure cooker stock. I have made it but not for a long time. My main reason for the low and long is that I was told that if the stock was boiled that the fat would be homogenized. This meant I wouldn't be able to remove is from the stock since it wouldn't float to the top as the stock cooled. 

So I don't really have 12 hours of oven time and I don't own a pressure cooker. I wonder how about a crock pot set to low for 12 hours. I could do that. 

I have a rotisserie chicken I cooked last night.  I don't have the wings or leg quarter bones but I do have the carcass I was going to strip the meat off of tonight.  Maybe I should try the crock pot and see what happens. 

• Like 1

Yes, try the crock pot, and see how hot the liquid gets, measure with a thermometer. I can remember I let mine boil on top of the stove, took off any fat that floated to the top as it cooled and yet when I tasted the broth I got that fat feel in my mouth, not nice. Since you are missing legs and wings I'd flatten the body and don't use too much water as I'm afraid the final product will be watery and not have a lot of flavour.

When you say you don't have 12 hours of oven time. Sometimes I start mine the day before and let it go over night in the oven. Once you have the oven set there is nothing to do but wait and if it goes 12 or 18 hours no problem.

BTW, only keep the broth, throw out everything else.

Edited by MacKenzie

9 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

Yes, try the crock pot, and see how hot the liquid gets, measure with a thermometer. I can remember I let mine boil on top of the stove, took off any fat that floated to the top as it cooled and yet when I tasted the broth I got that fat feel in my mouth, not nice. Since you are missing legs and wings I'd flatten the body and don't use too much water as I'm afraid the final product will be watery and not have a lot of flavour.

When you say you don't have 12 hours of oven time. Sometimes I start mine the day before and let it go over night in the oven. Once you have the oven set there is nothing to do but wait and if it goes 12 or 18 hours no problem.

BTW, only keep the broth, throw out everything else.

I pulled out a small crock pot so there wouldn't be too much extra water. Added onions, carrots, celery, garlic, pepper corn, a little kosher salt and some water. I'll check the temp in a couple of hours. I assume over 140* but not boiling and I'm good? 

Sounds good to as long as it is over the 140 border and under the 212 line. I sure hope it turns out for you. The longer you let it go the better. You know that when you have chicken wings or legs you can save them by freezing them until you get enough to make a batch of stock.

I always cut my wings off before a rotisserie cook. I save and freeze  them until I have enough to make some hot wings. Not a huge fan of hot wings so grilling hot wings every few months is good enough. 

The thighs, legs and some of the breast meat we ate last night. Picked the carcass clean tonight to make chicken and dumplings. 

Experimenting with the carcass for this stock. If it works in a crock pot I'll do it every time. Seems like it would be a really good stock to make risotto with not to mention chicken noodle soup. 

• Like 1

FWIW:  For those in larger cities with Whole Foods:   They sell chicken backs & necks cheap; makes for 'luxe stock.   Of course, most Mexican butcher shops, "carniceria", sell backs, necks and also feet which are another super flavor layer component for higher density chicken stock (although more than likely not from pastured chickens ... dunno as my Spanish is sub-par :D) .

Edited by dstr8