Bruce, I'm only guessing but it might be a crooknecked squash, which is a summer variety like zucchini and you could cook it the same. However if it's a winter type with hard skin I'd slice it in half, scrap out he seeds and fibres, then bake (350F) on a tray with some butter, maple syrup or brown sugar in the cavity. Lightly cover with foil. When you think it might be cooked test it with a knife to see if it is soft. Scoop out the goodness.

or tell your neighbour you are  ready to cook the squash and ask her for tips.:) 

• Like 1

What MacKenzie said. Looks like a winter squash to me. If you don't want to go the sweet route (maple syrup/brown sugar), you can go savory with EVOO, garlic, Italian seasonings, and grated parmesan. Would go nice on top of some pasta (spaghetti or spaghettini). 

• Like 1

Thanks everybody for all the nice comments on the cabinet. We had to take the fence down to get it into the backyard. But it looks really beautiful sitting next to the KK.  Pictures to follow. 

Mac, Tony thanks for the comments on the squash and the recipes I might have to try one of them.