Stile88

When Doing Pizza Cooks

Just looking for a little input or debate on this i haven't done a lot of pizza cooks over the years but my first was years ago on my egg and everybody told me 600 700 degrees was the way to go call it in experience at the time but i burnnt it the outside was black but the inside was good lol 

Anyhow i use a deflector once i get the grill up to temp i didn't clean the egg out as a should of at time so i was only getting 400 degrees well it took longer but the pizza was done perfectly so 400 to 500 degrees has been my target temp i kind of found this out by accident lol 

My question is what do all of you like to do and what temp for how long deflector or no deflector 

Let the debate begin

Edited by Stile88

Stile, it is a whole different story baking a pizza on the KK with the baking stone. It is formulated so that the bottom cooks as well as the top. I usually cook mine around the 500F range and have never burnt the bottom. I'm sure if you went a little higher in temp. the bottom would still be just fine and I'm pretty happy with how the pizzas turn out. Another thing in my favour is that I have a high top KK, the higher up in the dome you bake the pizza the better. Can't wait to see what you do and how it comes out.:) 

• Like 1

Not all pizza doughs  can go high heat. Sugar and oil in a pizza dough starts to burn above about 550*.  All the high heat doughs are formulated with no sugar or oil and can cook at temps in the 700*+ range. 

Most dough recipes one can find on the Internet work good around 500*. Find a recipe and cook at the recommended temperature and see what happens. Tweak from there. 

Baking stone with no bottom deflector. Get everything nice and heat soaked for an hour or more. 

• Like 2

Ditto what ckreef stated:   Baking temp (and baking time) is relative to the type of dough.    Cold fermented Neapolitan dough is mainly what I use for my pies.  With the KK shaped baking stone I typically bake them, highest grate position to take advantage of radiant heat push from the dome, at 700-800F to get the best results for this type of dough.  

FWIW I switched to a 3/8" thick baking steel and get similar results at 550-600F; much easier temp to manage on the KK.   If I tried a pizza dough containing sugar and oil, whether the stone or the baking steel at the above respective temps, would yield a black charred crust and unmelted cheese.

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 1