Sharon

Waiting on my 22" Hi-Cap this week!

Can't wait!  I had great success cooking w/ my K7 (about the same size) I expect this our new KK is going to be amazing!  

Did not want to move a 17 year old Richard Johnson K7 140 miles, have moved it 2x before. No problems with it, great cooks, but too iffy given it's age and history. I may offer it a as an incentive to purchasers of our Phoenix home.  

Besides, I want'd the newest and best technolgy available out there (I told hubby it was our last K to match our last home). Kids didn't get to choose the color but they will argue over who gets it eventually.  Took a bit to convince hubby that this was a better way to go.  

Dancing on air rather unpacking boxes.  Now back to unpacking at our retirement home so I can play with the KK.

Thank you to all that have shared and been so welcoming.  I'm a self described foodie, nothing better than spending a day in the kitchen or outdoors and I will love and contribute to this forum! Almost wish I had put a smaller range in the kitchen, will be cooking outside on KK more, I expect.

Sharon

KK 22 Hi Top soon to be here

• Like 2

Works on plywood just fine. I have a big bad 32 and my friend and I rolled it on plywood after taking two sections of fence down. It's in the backyard under the patio and looking beautiful as I'm sure  yours will soon as you get it in a place. And then the fun begins. Please take lots of pictures we love lots of pictures. Happy grilling and welcome to the family 

Color, I believe it is Autumn Neb Pebble.  Dark bronze at any rate.  He wanted colbalt blue, but not available in this d-model.  It will be beautiful!  Update, hubby has revised travel plans and will be here late a Friday to assist in upveiling this beauty!  So excited!

Sharon

new 22" Hi Top

Congrats, that's one heck of an anniversary gift! So who's the giftor and and who's the giftee?  ;)

How did the delivery go? Is she uncrated and in place? Have you fired her up yet?

My 22 is sitting in a shipping hub in Atlanta, he/she/it will be home Tuesday. I'm so looking forward to that truck backing up the driveway. :D

Congratulations again!

Bill

Edited by billg71

I think i might butterfly a chickie and some roasted potatoes and onions in the double drip pan, easy and fun for a first cook. Good way to break her in.  Stlll haven''t named her. Suggestions?

And add to some fresh and roast in the smoker in along with the bones I wish to smoke.  Makes for a great broth!

sharon

OBTW, I take all the trimmings I have in this freezer ( onion,, garlic, carrot, celery, etc)' 

We have jointly gifted this beauty to each other! As I write, out first cook, a brined, spatchcocked ckickie is cooking very steady at 325 degrees.  We have an optional double drip pan of veggies, potatoes, onions, etc,under her to roast and catch the drippings.  Neighbors are able smell this delicious aroma, and I expect will be knocking on the door very soon!

Sharon

• Like 2

So our KK has gotten off to a slower start than anticipated.  Had to go out of town to help hubby with some potentially very serious medical issues.  Sprung him from the hospital a few days ago.  All should be okay.  

Back to KK.  I have officially named her "Pleather".  Her beautiful pebble tile looks like well worn leather.  Pleather is a high end faux leather, thus the name.

Today, I am doing a pork shoulder (bone in) and will shortly throw on some St. Louis meaty ribs.  Shoulder is already looking great at only 110 degrees.  Plan on powering through the stall rather than wrapping.  

Here's preliminary photo of the shoulder at 110 degrees to whet your appetite. Will post lots of photos in a different thread once all is done.

Sharon

22" High Top KK

Fire Magic gasser

Humphies cabinet Pint

RJ  K7 and K3

IMG_1923.JPG

• Like 1

Yes they are aromatics.  A bit of broth, wine, water, carrots, celery, onions, garlic, and fresh rosemary.  We live in the mountains in Arizona, very dry and high altitude (5500 ft) and cooking is a bit different here. It is beneficial to have a bit of liquid in the drip pan.  I shall finish my it off with a dry drip pan to crisp up the skin.  

Thanks for your comment.

Sharon

Thank you all for your kind replies!  I am overwhelmed trying to get everything up to speed.  In our new home (still unpacking),  I am unable to get an email connection to my PC, therefore unable to post pics on that I took with my big gun camera, online.  Only able to be online with my iPad and iPhone.  So frustrating!  Working on that as I write.  

Pulled pork and ribs came out great.  Ribs were gone in a flash, before I could even get pics.  Have married pulled pork with traditional BBQ sauce with a bit of Cooks Illustrated "sweet and sour coleslaw"  not overly juicy or sweet on top.  A perfect taste and crunch on top of the pulled pork.  Have sandwiches in a photo of that (when I can finally post again with photos) Hubby declared he had never had such a great sandwich.  I can post the coleslaw recipe if you think that Cooks Illustrated won't object.

Mckenzie, I love your setup and photos.  Looks like your KK's are under cover.  Are they under roof? Makes me want to go back to Dennis today and order a 16" high top TT.  Makes so much sense to me.  Still have to recover from the cost of the 22" high top first.  We have the same tile and color.  I would also order the same, it's beautiful!

SHARON

Edited by Sharon
  • Like 1

Mckenzie, I agree, it is easier to breath at sea level.  Our son, comes to Arizona to train in high altitude for cycle racing, he also lives at sea level in Maryland.  Cooking is different here, water boils at a lover level and food drys out.  A water pan is my friend, even in a KK. 

We often obsessed over photos of Nova Scotia for many years when we lived in Connecticut and dreamed someday of sailing there on our boat to visit, but sadly did not get a chance to before we were transferred.  Such a beautiful part of the world.

Sharon