MacKenzie

KK Smoker Bacon

I had some pork belly all ready for the arrival on the KK smoke generator. Today was the day to try it out.

I had a couple of things to learn, most important is make sure the wood in the smoker is going really well, in other words get enough of a fire at the beginning so that it will continue to burn. I also found out if you disconnect the tube from the pump and blow into the tube that will get things going too. ;)

All in all it worked really well and I'm looking forward to slicing and tasting it tomorrow.

The first smoke from the generator-

First Smoke from Generator.jpg

The setup-

Smoke Generator Attached.jpg

Bacon is smoked to IT 145F.

Bacon on KK.jpg

Bacon is Smoked.jpg

The flip side-

Flip Side of Bacon.jpg

One thing about this generator, if the fire dies down it is so much easier to relight than any other smoker I have. There is no problem getting at it or adding more fuel. 

Something that I did differently this time and it was to cold smoke for 2 hours without the lump basket in the grill. After that I put the meat in the fridge while I started up the KK, keeping the smoke generator going for the entire cook.

The outside temp. was 50F so I figured that it would be safe to do this. I'll find out tomorrow for sure. ;) 

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

I finished my last bacon on Little Ms. Pebbles this morning, putting it on the grill adds a whole other awesome flavour to bacon.

After breakfast yesterday's slab of bacon was sliced up.

Sliced Bacon.jpg

Packaged and is now in the freezer. I have about 10 packages. :) 

BUT I have not tasted it yet. !!!!!!!!

PKG Bacon.jpg

Thanks guys. :) 

@ tomahawk, I used a Global model G12. It has a 12 inch blade but the thing to watch out for when buying a slicer is the travel distance of the carriage. If the travel distance from the blade is too short you can't get the slab of meat to fit. 

Looks to me like you have some pretty dangerous slicers of your own. ;) 

1 hour ago, MacKenzie said:

That is great, Steve, can't wait to see what you do and hear what you think of it.:) Have you done it before?

Never done it. I plan on visiting my butcher tomorrow and picking up a pork belly and a brisket for pastrami. The latter will need to brine for a few weeks.