ckreef

19" KK - No Stir Experiment

1 hour ago, Stile88 said:

Very nice experiment the food looks fantastic 

One thing for sure though the other cookers would of been clogged already lol 

I believe you are correct. I'm posting this experiment on Guru also and letting everyone  come to their own conclusions. 

• Like 1

Nope just dumping from the bag until the bag is gone. Then hopefully we'll move on to bag #2. Getting close to the end of bag #1 at this point.

Maybe the fines along with the ash will clog the lump basket. I have dumped fines and dust into the lump basket on previous occasions (with no prior ash buildup) without issue. I guess that is all part of the experiment. Will continue onward until it fails. 

Charles,  

I was moving grills last night and came across my "wiggle rod".   

Wiggle Rod.jpeg

Started thinking about your experiment and how it relates to long low & slow cooks in the KK versus my Primo's & Kamado Joe.

The wiggle rod is a must have/use tool when I have done long cooks in the past on the Primo & KJ without temp. controllers.  If I didn't knock the ash off the coals, using the wiggle rod thru the bottom air vent, the fire would die or the cooking temp drop drastically.  Some members on the Primo site would actually lift their table and jolt it down to knock the ash off.  And that was just on one long cook.

You are 6 cooks into your experiment and still have not experienced an issue.  You didn't come out and say it.....but this experiment would not have gone more than 2...maybe  3 cooks on another brand kamado.  

That great KK feature of having 100% air flow go through the charcoal!!!!!!

Another wonderful, cost saving advantage of cooking on a KK......no "wiggle rods"   

I have a lot of money invested in this wiggle rod and now it is obsolete.........:-D

• Like 2

Cook number 8.

Leftover from previous cook. 

KKNS8a.jpg

We are at the end of bag 1. I'm willing to put the smalls and fines in just not the dust. Sorted the end of bag then dumped everything except the dust in. 

KKNS8b.jpg

KKNS8c.jpg

Not enough so I opened bag 2. I'm all out of the 17 lb bags so this is a 15 lb bag. 

KKNS8d.jpg

KKNS8e.jpg

Going to run this cook at 250*

KKNS8f.jpg

Center cut pork loin roast with a French manicure. Southern candied squash. Finished the roast with a high heat sear on the 16" KK (not shown).  Since I own 2 KK's it's just easier this way. 

KKNS8g.jpg

On 10/19/2016 at 2:42 PM, tony b said:

I'm with Dennis on this one. 

Been thinking about building a screen to filter charcoal, so all the fines, dust and smalls pass through, leaving only the usable pieces. Just gotta finalize what size wire mesh to use? 

Hey Tony, I wouldn't bother with a screen. I dump all my lump into a plastic rectangular tub like you get at Wally World. I have a set of tongs just for picking up lump to add to the charcoal basket or you can put gloves on and speed up the process. The fines and dust will settle to the bottom and you can just dump it when you're ready. Pour another fresh bag on top and you're good to go. 

Sorta what I've been doing for a while now. Tub seems to fill up fast with the smalls and fines. Was just looking to extend the dumping process. I'm basically lazy! 

Been fighting another issue lately. Quebracho and Fogo have huge (make that Yuge) chunks in the bags. Example, current bag had a round chunk that looked like a fence post (about 4" dia and about 8" long.) They have really messed up my startup process. Been trying to figure out the best way to break them up into more manageable pieces without making a big mess. Note: started out with a rubber mallet and a putty knife. Sort of like cutting a diamond! End up with a mess of fines and smalls, but can cleave them into 3 or 4 usable chunks. Wish that I had a bandsaw. Suggestions?

Cook number 10. I was a little worried about this one because there was a huge ash buildup in the lump basket. No worries. I dumped in some new and it cruised up to temp no problem. 

I blurred out the on grill shot. It was a test cook for part of my Halloween challenge cook. Didn't want to give away my secrets just yet - LOL. 

KKNS10a.jpg

KKNS10b.jpg

KKNS10c.jpg

• Like 1

Cook number 11.

KKNS11a.jpg

KKNS11b.jpg

I started with some mac-n-cheese. 

KKNS11c.jpg

I pulled the mac-n-cheese  then cranked the vents open and cooked a few burgers . 

KKNS11d.jpg

I used the Classic  All Star burger seasoning from McCormick's Australian Division. Great tasting burger.  

I used the seasoning but I did not follow the directions on the packet which has you add bread crumbs and an egg. That would have made it a meatloaf patty.  @Aussie Ora  I  know you don't but I hope other Australian's don't think we put bread crumbs and egg in our burgers. 

KKNS11e.jpg

• Like 2