ckreef

Aussie's Leg of Lamb

I finally scored a nice Australian leg of lamb. Courtesy of @Aussie Ora I  have all the other kewl Australian ingredients to do this cook. Full details  can be found in his original thread. 

Aussie's original thread.

Got my ingredients together. 

ALLa.jpg

It was a huge leg so I trimmed it up a bit. That also gave us enough lamb for another cook. 

ALLb.jpg

I then trimmed the fat and rubbed it with the paste. 

ALLc.jpg

In the pan covered with parchment. I then covered in foil and on the KK at 300*

ALLd.jpg

More pictures later tonight. 

Edited by ckreef

At the 2 1/2 hour mark I added some carrots. At the 3 1/2 hour mark I removed the parchment paper, added some red potatoes cut in half with a sprinkle of Tasmanian Pepper Salt along with Rosemary, Thyme and Bay leaves.  Covered again with foil then back on.

ALLg.jpg

At 4 hours I removed the foil. 

ALLh.jpg

Pulled at 4 1/2 hours. 

ALLi.jpg

Dang it @Aussie Ora I've never cooked  a leg of lamb before and you definitely guided me in the right direction. That was a spectacular meal. Lamb was fall off the bone tender and juicy. Didn't even need the plum sauce - it tasted great as is. Given a choice I think I would go pulled lamb over pork any day. 

There is enough inner fat and connective tissue that the next time I want to try cooking it as a traditional American low-n-slow BBQ meat. 

• Like 1

Excellent glad you all enjoyed it. It's a different way than the normal roasting. For low n slow I would use lamb sholdar and it will definitely not take 8 hrs lol lamb can dry out and that sucks you need moisture here is a video that will give you an idea rather than me explaining it I'm slack lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill

Thanks for the video. Will have to see if Publix can order me a lamb shoulder. 

Cool. you can tell these blokes have been looking at American forums talking in Fahrenheit lol. But like you said lamb has alot of fat and connective tissue but it breaks down quick hence only 4 to 5 hours retaining the moisture is the key just like the cook you just done. If you cooked it like a pork butt you would end up with a dry bit of crap that's where the Sauce might come in handy lol

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill