billg71

Heat deflector or drip pan? Or Both?

I got the double-bottom drip pan as an accessory with my 22 and it came with a heat deflector as well. Do those of you with the drip pan put it on top of the deflector or just leave the deflector out?

I can see where the deflector provides some thermal mass but thermal mass seems to be the last thing this cooker is lacking anyway. Would the deflector maybe help in keeping the drip pan at a lower temp so the drippings wouldn't cook out and turn to carbon?

My Summit Charcoal has a double-wall deflector but if I don't space the drip pans up with a cooling rack all my drippings just go up in smoke. The top of that deflector gets HOT!

Thanks for your insights!

Bill

31 minutes ago, billg71 said:

I got the double-bottom drip pan as an accessory with my 22 and it came with a heat deflector as well. Do those of you with the drip pan put it on top of the deflector or just leave the deflector out?

I can see where the deflector provides some thermal mass but thermal mass seems to be the last thing this cooker is lacking anyway. Would the deflector maybe help in keeping the drip pan at a lower temp so the drippings wouldn't cook out and turn to carbon?

My Summit Charcoal has a double-wall deflector but if I don't space the drip pans up with a cooling rack all my drippings just go up in smoke. The top of that deflector gets HOT!

Thanks for your insights!

Bill

It'll be no different in the KK. Once the deflector is heat soaked it's really hot. 

I used the deflector a lot when I first got my KK. I burned a ton of charcoal (full basket gone in 8 hours at 225). It seemed to keep the heat contained in the firebox and limited convection. I now use the smallest drip pan I can find to collect the drippings from whatever I'm cooking at the time. I place it on the rack under the main grate, or on the main grate if I'm cooking on the upper. The further away from the fire the better. My fuel consumption has dropped dramatically, the food is better, and the grill is far more consistent. Others may have a different experience, but this has worked very well for me.

• Like 2

I too was shocked that nobody used the stone.  I couldn't imagine low and slow without one.  But the KK main grate to fire distance is far greater than any other Kamado.  I soon tried the lower grate with foil technique.... and it worked great.  I cover foil from front to back and leave the sides open for heat.  If it is a juicy cut like a large but or brisket, I will add a pan on top of the foil.  

Stones are a thing of the past with a KK!

I use my 16" diffuser stone in both my 16" and 19". Like MacKenzie pointed out the distance is much shorter. (and I dropped my 19" diffuser on uneven ground and broke it in half. My bad) 

I also use my 16" double bottom drip pan in both the 16" and 19". Dennis owes me a 19" double bottom drip pan. He keeps trying to ship it to me. I keep telling him not to worry about it until I order something else then he can just add it to that order.  I'm not worried. 

Edited by ckreef

Idiot question of the day on the stone, since I have seen pictures - the deflector I got in my 32" has a few pieces - if you've got a full basket of charcoal going, is the implication that the entire deflector is placed above it?  You have to leave at least some of the fire exposed, correct, for air flow purposes or you'd choke out the fire?  If so, could you just use the metal separators that come with the charcoal basket to cover?  

the 32" has 4 stones in total.  2 more rectangular pieces are to allow for larger cuts.  They cover from front to back with no gap, only larger gaps along the sides.  This allows for a large cut of meat to not get burnt on its edges.

The second set, more shaped like the KK, rounded edges are for standard smoking.  They should have a gap all the way around to allow for heat to rise around the outer edge.  

You will also have a stainless frame that clips onto the charcoal basket and that is what the stones sit on.

In all honesty, you do not need them.  Add the lower grate and add a double layer of foil on it. 

The fire to grill distance is further apart then the standard kamado.  This allows for an amazing cook without the need to use the bulky stones.  

Trust us.... it works great!

• Like 2