billg71

Heat deflector or drip pan? Or Both?

36 minutes ago, billg71 said:

So what do you do with the deflector stone you don't use? Inquiring minds want to know... (or at least I do) Right now mine is just leaning up against the wall behind the cooker, surely there's some use it could be put to?

C'mon folks, lets hear some ideas! :)

They make good welding tables?!??!!  Incense burner base?  get it hot and put it in your sleeping bag?  Or at the foot of your bed?  Get it warm and put it in a cooler to keep your pizza warm for trips??  I suspect the list could go on and on and,,,,

3 hours ago, Aussie Ora said:

Mine sits on a shelve lol my drip pan is still wrapped

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Mine is being used as a tray until i can think of a better use for that round tray. The large drip tray is a great serving tray until i cook a turkey, them it will catch juices for gravy. 

Here's a deflector. A pizza pan, 18", fits perfect, with just enough clearance around the edges, on the charcoal basket handles! $10.00 on Amazon. Lightweight and easy to handle. It might warp but so what.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00EAXW8AI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After I try it I'll report. I might abandon the stone one...

4 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

I see no problem with that except take out the foil. You are going to be so amazed at what you can do with your KK.emoji4.png

I'm really looking forward to it.  I've just been driving myself crazy on the 32" vs the 42".  I ordered the 32", it still says unfullfilled, so I keep thinking I could call Dennis and tell him to change it to the 42".  I just don't know which one I'd really get more use out of.  Normally it's just my wife and two kids, once in a while we have another 4 adults and 4 kids over.  For the most part I know the 32" would be plenty of grilling space.  Honestly i just like the larger stainless parts on the front handle (it looks larger in the photos anyway).  I think I'm driving myself, and Dennis crazy and hopefully he's already sent the 32" so it's just set in stone, lol..

17 minutes ago, mohctp said:

Based on these setups.  Is it possible to go from low and slow with a foil heat deflector to high temperature grilling without letting it cool down first?  I have ordered mine, but have not received it yet.

Yup. Exactly what @MacKenzie said. The only thing I’ll add is that your 32 is easily configured for two zone, so you can readily go from low and slow temps on the indirect side to very hot on the direct side in a matter of minutes with a turn or two of the top vent.

17 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Yup. Exactly what @MacKenzie said. The only thing I’ll add is that your 32 is easily configured for two zone, so you can readily go from low and slow temps on the indirect side to very hot on the direct side in a matter of minutes with a turn or two of the top vent.

Gotcha, so if I wanted to wake up and put a couple of slabs of ribs on I could set it up with the splitter (I bought), and have the ribs on the indirect side.. When those are done take them off and load in the rotisserie with a chicken on the other side (with the direct heat), and then once that's done open the air up to crank up the temps and high temperature grill a steak without having to worry about moving anything really.  Is that the right concept? 

7 minutes ago, mohctp said:

Gotcha, so if I wanted to wake up and put a couple of slabs of ribs on I could set it up with the splitter (I bought), and have the ribs on the indirect side.. When those are done take them off and load in the rotisserie with a chicken on the other side (with the direct heat), and then once that's done open the air up to crank up the temps and high temperature grill a steak without having to worry about moving anything really.  Is that the right concept? 

You got it. I haven’t tried, but believe you could also add the rotisserie chicken while doing the ribs at the same time by using one of the lower grates for the ribs on the indirect side. Should be enough clearance for the chicken to spin. 

2 minutes ago, Pequod said:

You got it. I haven’t tried, but believe you could also add the rotisserie chicken while doing the ribs at the same time by using one of the lower grates for the ribs on the indirect side. Should be enough clearance for the chicken to spin. 

You think that would work even with the larger basket rotisserie?  That would be fun to try for sure.  I guess this thing is like a puzzle of making it do different things at the same time.

4 minutes ago, mohctp said:

You think that would work even with the larger basket rotisserie?  That would be fun to try for sure.  I guess this thing is like a puzzle of making it do different things at the same time.

Not with the cradle, but with the spit rod for sure. I have both the cradle and spit rod for my 23. I prefer the spit rod by far, and only purchased the spit rod for my 32. Hardly use the cradle now.

Edited by Pequod

15 minutes ago, Pequod said:

Not with the cradle, but with the spit rod for sure. I have both the cradle and spit rod for my 23. I prefer the spit rod by far, and only purchased the spit rod for my 32. Hardly use the cradle now.

The main reason I looked at the cradle was for doing a big prime rib with.  Thought it would hold it better.  But I've seen people do it with the spit rod (on all kinds of grills)....