billg71

So what other grills do you own?

I was out today re-arranging the grills on the patio to find a good spot for my new KK and realized I now have 4 grills:  A Weber Genesis stainless with the side cabinets, a Weber Summit Charcoal, a PK Grill and, of course, the new KK 22. Each one has a special quality that makes me think I'll never get rid of any of them. The PK is the quick-grilling master of Saturday Night Burgers and reverse-searing steaks, 20 minutes and it's ready to go. The gasser totes the load of warming leftovers from the other cookers, the SCGC is large enough to cook a lot of food when the whole family is over and the KK will replace the Summit for smoking and those occasions when I just want to take the time to sit back and smell the smoke.

This all started 36 years ago when we moved out of the apartment into our first house and I brought home a cheap Hibachi from K-Mart. I don't know how many grills and smokers I've been through since then but I think I'm down to my Final 4.

I know this is a KK forum but I was just curious about any other grills/cookers/smokers any of you use besides the KK and why?

Best,

Bill

Edited by billg71

I'm down to two: my KK and a Kamado Joe Classic which I expect to give to my son in a year or so. Have owned others over the years that I've shed for various reasons:

270 Smokers - an insulated cabinet smoker I bought 2 years ago and sold last week. Why? The KK is a better smoker than the dedicated smoker. See my comparison thread in the KK cooking forum.

WSM - Had it for about a decade. My first true smoker. Recently gave it to my niece. See above reason.

Weber Genesis Silver B - also had for about a decade. Rusted out and hauled to the dump this year. I'd use a tube smoker to add smoke flavor.

Various Weber kettles - they are what they are. Overachievers for the price, but can't touch a Kamado.

Bottom line is I love the Kamado versatility and the KK is the best of breed. It fits my style of cooking, so I'm planning to add another to my lineup early next year. Other than that, I could see adding a pizza oven at some point. Maybe a Blackstone, but those woodfired jobs look fun too. 

Edited by HalfSmoke

My 23" KK is the almost exclusive grill/smoker at my house. 99% of my cooks are done on it. 

I own a small Grill Dome, but haven't fired it up in years. Have offered it to a couple of buddies, but they didn't want it - too small.

I also own a yakitori like ckreef (his post got me to buy one). It's fun for parties - does a great job with anything on skewers. 

• Like 1

I have the big weber summit gasser and a rectec pellet grill. the kk gets all of my cooks now unless I need overflow and I do every now and then. I usually fire up the rectec due to how easy it is and it does a very good job on most stuff.

Some of the best food I have ever tasted has come off kamados and that includes a couple of cooks on mine.

When i first started out grilling i had an el cheapo gaser i think we all start out on that it seems lol then i got a weber thats is when i knew charcoal was the way i wanted to cook after that i moved up to bge and had 2 of those for many years prior to my new kk 23 arriving i sold them both and down road plan to get another one just like everyone else said the kk is simply the best to cook on and why cook on anything else 

Oh boy.............

- 19"KK TT     - Primo XL   - Primo JR    - Kamado Joe JR   - Weber 22" Kettle    - Weber Gas Q     - Weber Char Q    - Weber Performer    - Weber Smokey Joe  - 2 ea. Weber Summit gassers   - Cook Air (wood burning)  - Cobb 

I think I have a problem........................

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Jon B. said:

Oh boy.............

- 19"KK TT     - Primo XL   - Primo JR    - Kamado Joe JR   - Weber 22" Kettle    - Weber Gas Q     - Weber Char Q    - Weber Performer    - Weber Smokey Joe  - 2 ea. Weber Summit gassers   - Cook Air (wood burning)  - Cobb 

*speechless* :shock:

19 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

Hey John you could invite the whole neighborhood  over and have a neighborhood cook off with all the equipment you've got.  Lol

I should probably add..........that these grills/cookers are spread out over 5 different locations where I cook  (long story and not very convenient).  

7 hours ago, Jon B. said:

Oh boy.............

I thought I had a problem....

Thank you!

Edited by billg71
  • Like 1

Jon - seek help, as you really do have a grill addiction!! But, at least you hide it well by scattering them around at different locations. 

I'm proud to say that I've never owned a gasser in my life. Been a charcoal man since day one. My Dad never owned one either. I was brought up right!

• Like 2

I started with a napoleon prestige pro 500 then started my charcoal craze with a kettle and WSM.  

Then a black Kamado Koe big Joe and then the jr and then the classic.  Then I switched to red and got all three again.  

Then a 23 and 32 KK.  I have the black KJs to my best friend.  My dad is cooking on my 18" red classic and my buddy next door is using my jr and big Joe red.  

Sold the kettle and wsm. 

Sold the gasser a month after the KKs arrived my wife finally said to get rid of it.  I miss the gasser for convienece but I have the very best in BBQs so why keep what I won't use 

23 and 32 combo has been the best.  Can't mess with the best

Edited by bosco

I always get the question: "So how many grills do you have now ?".  From what I see, I am not so bad.  Along with the 23" KK, I also have a Fire Magic Gasser, a Big Green Egg XL, and a RecTec.  I use the RecTec for veggies like potatoes, Garlic, and occasionally ribs or chicken.  I also have used it for Pulled Beef.  The Gasser just sits as does the Big Green Egg.  I would like to maybe add a 32" KK in the future and get rid of the Egg and the Rec Tec.

• Like 1