billg71

So what other grills do you own?

I keep a Meco Swinger II around, thinking I will use it for quick grilling, but I never do... If we have a big party I'm going to break it out and use for something, anything, just because we have it. It has a real sentimental value, I learned to cook with charcoal on it.

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Meco-Swinger-Series-21.5-Square-Charcoal-Grill-Adjustable-Cooking-Grid-w-2-Folding-Side-Tables/12441316

• Like 1

Future is the 19tt, but for now I have a Weber 22 gold, Weber Jumbo Joe/with a Cajun Bandit Stacker, Weber Smokey Joe/with a mini WSM build, Cook Air, and a Pit Barrel Cooker plus the cooker that got me to this site Akorn Jr which is all I have been using since I purchase about four months ago!

The PBC to date has given me my best ribs and brisket! Once I get the 19tt will give to my next door neighbor the Weber 22, a friend from work the mini WSM and keep the others.

Garvin

P.S forgot my 14 WSM that I got on clearance last summer but haven't used probably give to my Dad.

Edited by Garvinque

36” Weber Rancher (must be 20 years old. made it through the fire, handle and wheels gone), Weber Performer (new), and my new 16 TT KK.

I haven’t used the Rancher for a while now. I put about 80 lbs. of fire brick inside as a heat sink. Works pretty good.

I’ve only used the performer twice since receiving the KK in early December.

Doc, thanks for bringing up the Swinger! It was the first grill I owned after a hibachi, bought my first one 25+ years ago and replaced it faithfully when the bottom rusted out(about every 3-5 years). When the last one rusted out I bought a Weber kettle but I've finally settled on a PK as a decent replacement for the Swinger.

Thanks again for bringing up some happy memories. :)

Hmmm, looks like I have a total of 4 . The KK which does anything that needs a steady temp, bread, cookies, pies, and meats. Plus everything else we eat if I dont have to shovel too much or the wind is under 20  :shock:.

New Weber OK and KettlePizza just for wood fired pizza.

Old POS  Charbroil gasser that we use when I'm too lazy, its too  cold or I just want a hotdog/burger quick.

One table top CharGriller that we take camping or picnics. (those things are built like tanks !)

Looks like I have an addiction too *heavysigh*

zo0

I don't have a KK "yet" but this is a cooker I invented and had built.   Runs on all wood splits.   Has a grate below the top for high heat wood fired grilling. Floating dome area can slow direct/indirect or high heat direct/indirect and of course the rotisserie is built in.  It's called a "007"

From these pictures the only thing I've changed was that the hanging grate from the swivel is gone.  I used it for things like pans of mac n cheese but can still put it back on if needed. 

Cooking temps you can run anywhere from 225* to 700* plus depending on how you build and maintain the fire.  Because of the distance to the dome food just doesn't burn and it's so low airflow up there the food is amazingly moist.   Definitely not a set and forget cooker but I really love feeding in splits.  I have other set it and forget it cookers but they don't get used often. 

P1040880_zpsgcfgls41.JPG

SWING20GRATE_0001_zpsyxtjcd5h.jpg

SWING20GRATE_0002_zpsgktmcxw9.jpg

IMG_0634_zpswweunxfn.JPG

Edited by Keith OctoForks
  • Like 3

Right now I'm a KK purist and frankly, I see no reason to expand my horizons.  What do I gain by putting something else on my patio?  After all, our KKs are unparalleled at baking, smoking, roasting, grilling, low & slow, etc.  It would just be a duplication of function for me to add another piece of equipment to my patio.  

46 minutes ago, tony b said:

Interesting contraption, indeed, Keith. Where did you get the idea for it?

I built a regular wood burning rotisserie drum and found that in order to keep a lid for reflective heat the lid need to be at least 4" inches above the cylinder (or the fire wouldn't burn clean or go out). Then that led into making  a floating dome.   Now I can open top  rotisserie or swivel the lid over for reflective heat.

I had one version built that i still have but this 2nd one  is much more heavy duty and can hold a lot of weight.   It's a very cool concept because the air exits below the dome and the smoke/heat flood the dome.   It's a blast to cook with and nice to rotisserie and still dome cook at the same time. 

Edited by Keith OctoForks
  • Like 2