MacKenzie

Smoked Pork Chop Dinner

I was cooking for one today so why not do that lone smoked pork chop I bought on the road trip the other day.;)

On the grill. This pix is a little blurred unfortunately it is that time of year when it's nearly dark by 5:30 PM.

Chop on Grill.jpg

Cooked.

Grilled Chop.jpg

Plated.

Smoked Chop Dinner.jpg

Bit of Chop.jpg

When I bought it I didn't realize it was cured so it tasted very much like ham. I was under the impression it was just apple smoked. It was very tender but I found the salt over powered the apple smoke. It was very good but not what I was expecting.:) 

Edited by MacKenzie
  • Like 1

17 hours ago, Shuley said:

i keep thinking about smoking thick pork chops or a roast....it never occured to me to brine.

If you are going to cold smoke them, you need to brine them, in particular, including the "pink salt" (sodium nitrate). Otherwise you are at risk of foodborne pathogens (can we say botulism?!)

44 minutes ago, Shuley said:

I didnt realize there were cold smoked. I was imagining cooking them around 225.

You should be able to find smoked pork chops in most grocery stores. All they require is a quick sear. I've also marinated them before searing to add another flavor dimension.