bosco

Fall cleaning

I started cleaning the grates today and used some simple green spray.  It did a good job but not great.  

I think that I will pick up some PBW tomorrow from the brew store.  I have been reading the oxy clean is the same thing and equally just as good so considering that.   

The problem is the container.  I was picking Roberts brain and that 32" grate is bloody massive.  I may use a under the bed storage bin tomorrow and see.  

Tomorrow I vac and wipe down all the inside and get them ready for the cold weather season that is about to hit.  

I can't wait to get them shining again lol.  

Anymore secrets for getting all the grime off the grates??? I'm all ears 

17 hours ago, bosco said:

I started cleaning the grates today and used some simple green spray.  It did a good job but not great.  

I think that I will pick up some PBW tomorrow from the brew store.  I have been reading the oxy clean is the same thing and equally just as good so considering that.   

The problem is the container.  I was picking Roberts brain and that 32" grate is bloody massive.  I may use a under the bed storage bin tomorrow and see.  

Tomorrow I vac and wipe down all the inside and get them ready for the cold weather season that is about to hit.  

I can't wait to get them shining again lol.  

Anymore secrets for getting all the grime off the grates??? I'm all ears 

I use a black plastic tray I picked up at the hardware store that is used to mix small batches of concrete. The 32" grates fit tight but it does work.

@kjsThanks for the tip, Ken! Will seek one of those out. Will make cleaning the rotisserie basket much easier. 

@boscowhile Oxyclean is similar to PBW, it's not exactly the same. Several of my homebrew buddies say the difference is minor in most uses compared to the cost difference. I've used both and like PBW better in the brewroom, at least. Haven't tried Oxyclean on the grill grates, just PBW (works great!)

Edited by tony b

I am going to pick some PBW up next week at my local brew shop.  I called and they stock it.  

I also confirmed that those containers are not available at any of my hardware stores, so I found some over the border at Home Depot and will pick 2 up.  I think 2 is going to be perfect for the grills.  I am going to take better care of these.  I cooked yesterday and did notice that my chicken tasted better.  I think the buildup grease can become a foul after taste if you allow it.  

Curse you low and slow meats!  Why must you taste so good and make so much mess

It seems to me that I heard or read that PBW is used in the brewing business because it doesn't affect the the stainless steel like some other cleaners do. I think it is the ones with chlorine that should not be used on stainless. This could be just a wild rumour but I seem to recall that.