bosco

Dawn vs. 5 Star PBW

Well I went to my local brew shop today and picked up 1 lb of PBW by 5 star at 18.00 CAD.  

I then went to the local dollar store and purchased a bottle of Dawn dish soap for ... well 1.00 CAD. 

Drove to the USA and hit the Home Depot.  Fought my urge to pick up more lump charcoal and came back home.  

I took one grill from the 23 and 32 and placed them in a bin and the same for the other bin.  I have one grate from each grill to make this a fair experience.  

Filled 20 gallons of hot water in each.  I added 1.5 cups of dawn to the one on the left and 1.5 cups of PBW to the one on the right.  

I plan on soaking these for 24 hours so I will remove them at 2 pm tomorrow.  

I want dawn to win because it is cheaper but have a feeling the PBW will be the lucky lady.  

Anyways let's have some fun with this and see what happens.  

IMG_7204.JPG

• Like 2

Thanks for doing this experiment, Bosco. PBW is very good on proteins/organics, while Dawn's forte is grease. Will be interesting to see the outcome.

Yeah, PBW is pricey, but it's a specialty cleaner. On the upside, you don't use much - 1 Tbl per gallon of water. 

Interesting stuff.  The dawn is wiping clean a lot easier than the PBW from the test pieces I just did.  

However

the water with the dawn is warmer still which I attribute to the layer of bubbles? And the water is fairly clear.  

The PBW is not wipe clean yet on the test piece however the water is very dark brown.  You can hardly see the grates.  

So im not sure what one the winner will be but I'll be honest so far I am tilting in favour of dawn.  Thank you JonB

on an upside a friend on the guru highly recommended oxy clean free (green lid).  He has been using it for years and loves it.  He cleans his BBQ accessories with it.  It is also 8.95 for 3.5 lbs opposed to the 18.00 for 1 lb of PBW 

I'm likely going to have to cut it short as I need to cook tomorrow to lol.  The brew store said over night so 12 hours.   If I clean in morning that will be 18 hours.  I'm really interested in seeing what way I will go from now on.  

Bruce mentioned doing the oxy clean and dawn combo.  I bet that would be killer 

Edited by bosco
  • Like 1

My experience with PBW and soaking the roti basket and grates was everything just wiped off with a sponge - zero elbow grease. Which is great, given all those nooks and crannies in there. I also find that 4 - 8 hours is plenty of soaking time.

As far as I know, there's no safety issue with mixing them. It might be the best of both worlds, because with PBW, if there's a lot of grease, a film forms on the surface of the water, which the Dawn might break up. Not a major issue, since you have to rinse everything off anyway. It's just that your hands get slimy/greasy reaching in to pull the grates out. 

I'll look around for oxyclean with the green lid (no fragrance?) and give that a whirl.

7 hours in and I just lifted a grate out from each.  The water with the dawn is clean and the PBW is black 

the dawn grate wipes clean with zero effort

the PBW I have to scrub clean and it still leaves black residue in spots.  

I have a winner! 

Edited by bosco

Yeah buddy that dawn is something else. The water is clear and the grates wipe away clean.  No chemicals just soap.  Hot water and soap is going to be my go to.  

Indo have the oxy clean now so I may mix like others said until it is gone.  

That is great news for me as it will be a fraction of the cost for cleaning.  

I now endorse JonBs recommendation whole heartedly 

• Like 2

But wait ..... there's more. Operators are standing by.  

I got up early to rinse them and noticed that when I sprayed the PBW grates the black stuff just peeled off.  No scrubbing nothing.  

The Dawn is clean but darker.  For some reason the grates are not clear of the black gunk like with the PBW.  

Check out a side by side comparison of the two.  

I guess I take back what I said earlier.  I was a bit premature in my conclusions.  see for yourself and determine how you would prefer your grates to look after cleaning.  

IMG_7207.thumb.JPG.755e6a0c171b263555863c3785b590e8.JPG

• Like 4

@MacKenzie did you ever source PBW?  I just found a store online from Ohio that has it relatively cheap.  I may order the 8lb jug for 54.99 US. that works out to be about 9.50 a lb CAD opposed to the 18 I paid here yesterday.  They also have a 50 lb for 199.  Just not sure that I need that much lol

@HalfSmoke I see what you did there