Sharon

Spatchcocked Chickie

Finally getting to upload some cook pics, delicious, simple spatchcocked chicken and hasselback taters.  Pulled the chickie off at 150 degrees at the breast as Kenji Alt-Lopez suggests (actually he suggests 145 at the breast), let her rest, and then carved.  Still learning to cook at high altitude (5500 feet), different than my usual 1500 foot altitude.  Also although I am not new to to Kamado style cooking, this KK is different, so well sealed, less lump is needed, so much less lump needed in my Weber style charcoal starter.  I love my KK!  

Sharon

22" high top KK

IMG_0353.JPG

IMG_0354.JPG

IMG_0355.JPG

• Like 3

I cheated.  Went to Sur La Table and bought their Hasselback potato slicer ($12.95 USD)  Can only do smaller taters on it (about 4 1/2") but fast and easy.  Alternatively, put the tater on a big spoon or between 2 chopsticks so not to slice completely through.  Add lots of salt, pepper, and other goodies between the slices along with a butter/olive oil glaze on the slices and you're good to go.  A nice presentation for guests and much tastier than plain baked potatoes. Glad you liked it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sharon said:

I cheated.  Went to Sur La Table and bought their Hasselback potato slicer ($12.95 USD)  Can only do smaller taters on it (about 4 1/2") but fast and easy.  Alternatively, put the tater on a big spoon or between 2 chopsticks so not to slice completely through.  Add lots of salt, pepper, and other goodies between the slices along with a butter/olive oil glaze on the slices and you're good to go.  A nice presentation for guests and much tastier than plain baked potatoes. Glad you liked it.

I was just getting ready to compliment you on some amazing knife skills and you spoiled it by owning up to using a slicer to cut the spud. Big fan of Hasselbacks. I use 2 wooden spoons to straddle the potato while I slice it. Thin slivers of garlic between every other slice is amazing!