Jon B.

Mayo Seasoned Steak

A friend forwarded me this post from a cooking site.  They are suggesting using Mayonnaise as a "rub" before grilling a steak.

I have used mayo as a "rub" on fish before, to help take away the gamey taste but never thought or heard of using it on a steak before grilling.

So last night I put a thin coating of mayo on a nice skirt steak, applied a little Adobo seasoning and then smoked the steak, indirect with a little cherry wood.

Didn't tell my guinea-pig dinner guest what the "seasoning" was before serving the food. 

I have to say...it was pretty darn good.   It held the seasoning, absorbed the cherry smoke and tasted like I put a nice seasoned butter topping on a finished steak.

The test dummy buddy also remarked how good the meat tasted and wanted to know the cooking details.

Going to try it again......................the next test will be a reverse sear on a nice rib eye. 

Worth a try if mayo is part of your diet!

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Jon B. said:

Worth a try if mayo is part of your diet!

Son, I'm from SC. I have Duke's in my veins!!! 

I was a convert to slathering mayo on the outside of my grilled cheese sandwiches instead of butter ages ago. So, this only makes sense. We slather CYM on our butts and briskets - same as in my book!