Fetzervalve

Chuck roll (?) - boneless chuck roast

On the same trip to the raping butcher (see brisket thread) my wife asked for a chuck roll - she was provided what was labeled :::boneless chuck roast:::: same or not - I don't know.

Seen here: slapped on as soon as the brisket came off

PB040014.jpg

After 19.5 hrs @ 230 - bumped up to 240- 245 when it hit 180 then dropped back a few degrees. Pulled @ 190-191 wrapped @ rested.

PB050017.jpg

Pulled - started 11 # - cooked 7.5# pulled out about 1# fat.

PB050018.jpg

Again very good overall, not a very deep smoke ring... it was cold when I put it in - thermometer read 38. It had quite a bit of fat/connective tissue still in place, didn't fall apart like the butt did. Should I have left it on longer? Closer to 195(+)?

nice hunk o chuck. not tons of experience here, but i don't usually check temps for doneness. i let the meat tell me when it's done. while it's still on the smoker, pull at it a little. if it doesn't pull as easy as you like, leave it on longer. sorry to be simplistic, but, with butts, briskets, or ribs (low & slow) i just don't use temps. use the 1.5hours/pound at 250 rule of thumb, and towards the end, check things out. don't rush the meat and don't take it off if you aren't happy yet!

that being said, the pull looks really good, and it really does make great chili & tacos! enjoy!

Thanks for the tip 'Chop, I'll do that next time. I still can't believe I can leave the lid down for HOURS without looking, but then I start getting antsy and it's getting close to feeding time, and it's getting close to bed time, etc. - then I pull it too soon (probably)

I'll try to do better.

Do you monitor the temp or do you just start checking it around the calculated done time? This chuck went for about 1.75/lb @230.

i start checking when i get curious. maybe an hour before i figure it will finish. i've been leaning towards going higher on temps than lower. 250-275 even. usually, like with butts, i'm finished before i figured. the bone slips out and i usually have to take them off the grill in halves, since they wont hold together.