John Wheeler

23" Ultimate or 32" Big Bad -- That is the question!

Well.... I have both and feel like I can add some input. 

The 23 is my daily driver.  I love it quite honestly.  My 32 however, this is my dedicated smoker and I use it when I am grilling lots of food.  

Heat up and fuel consumption is comapatable.  I can get the 23 to 350 in about 10-15 min and the 32 15-20 min.  Fuel consumption.. you add more to the 32 but it lasts.  

If you are looking st larger cuts of meat cooks and only one grill, my vote is for the 32.  

• Like 2

4 hours ago, John Wheeler said:

Feel the 32" has more flexibility but concerned may take a lot longer to warm up?  Can you cook a large beef tenderloin on the 23" grilling area? 

Thank you!  John

If you are talking about warming up for grilling, you are only heat sinking the grates not necessarily the grills body. Heat sinking the body is important for low and slow and roasting.

Grilling:  Charcoal creates a ton of heat and I'm confident I can get any KK grill to 650ºf faster (with a hair dryer being used as a blower) than any gas grill.  

Tenderloin:  The 23" grill is 21" front to rear.

• Like 3

Love my 23".   Having said that I make quite a few pizzas on it and sometimes think the ability to do "two up" on the 32" would be handy.   But for us, essentially empty nesters, and relatively non-entertainers the 23" gets everything done with aplomb.    

Edited by dstr8
  • Like 2

I had a teeny bit of this debate internally, but when it comes down to it, if i am entertaining a crowd i am doing low and slow. In terms of low and slow the 23 can definitely handle a ton of meat. If you frequently grill for a ton of people...you might think about the 32. I'd call Dennis to talk about your primary uses of the kamado.... I never felt like he was trying to upsell me.

Sent from my LG-D855 using Tapatalk

• Like 3

I routinely cook whole tenderloins on my 23. If they are really big I fold the tail over and pin it with toothpicks. This keeps it from overcooking as well. The 32 would be better for large parties. The 42 better still!

I have cooked a brisket and 9 racks of ribs at the same time on the 23 tho...

How fast you can get it to temp depends on how skilled you are at getting enough BTUs to get there fast but not overshoot.

I don't find it takes me more time to heat soak the 32 compared to the 23.. 

I like to use my hairdryer as a blower to get a bunch of charcoal raging and then choke the airflow way back to almost nothing.. This keeps a small volume alive and gives you a burst of BTUs to pre-heat the grill quickly but does not keep burning at that volume which would over shoot ya..

I've never had any issue heat soaking the 32 and ready to grill temperatures are possible in 10-15 easy (and I'm talking ready to sear sous vide steaks at 600-800F dome temps ready)

Love the grill space and two up pizza ease.

Plus how else could you make a whole 14lbs suckling pig look tiny on the top rack?!?

4db42638dafeb1739248ba7cf4dee809.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a 23 and believe it is capable of feeding 10 people easy be it low and slow or grilling if not more. It all depends on your lifestyle are you a family of 6 and an entertainer, or just a couple that has the odd get together buying the biggest Grill is not necessarily a good idea. Example say I am single and live by myself and by the new 42 to cook my one chop on lol

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

I have a 23 and believe it is capable of feeding 10 people easy be it low and slow or grilling if not more. It all depends on your lifestyle are you a family of 6 and an entertainer, or just a couple that has the odd get together buying the biggest Grill is not necessarily a good idea. Example say I am single and live by myself and by the new 42 to cook my one chop on lol

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Actually: I had the concern that I'd be mainly using my KK for family dinners for the 3 of us and our 16 month old daughter doesn't exactly each much yet!

Due to the excellent advice from many 32 owners on the forum I still went for the 32. Using the basket splitter I often fire it up just to sear just 2 steaks (or one in the case of that tomahawk a couple of weeks ago!). The splitter means I can have ripping hot searing temps super fast and without using much fuel at all (plus a huge indirect area)

Then again I have the option to cater for a huge group.

For low and slow you certainly can cook for tonnes of people on a 23 but a lot of the time I'm grilling and even the 32 sometimes only just feels big enough when I have a load of burgers going and am looking to toast some buns.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 2