DennisLinkletter

New Cold Smoker Sleeve

These will be shipped soon with two drill bits and some refractory patch. The Cold Smoker works fine in the Guru port but common sense would dictate the vapor would be more effective if released closer to the target. These are exactly two tiles in size and will be available in both the 25 and 28mm tile sizes.

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-12 at 4.16.46 AM.jpeg

• Like 5

On 11/13/2016 at 1:32 PM, DennisLinkletter said:

These will be shipped soon with two drill bits and some refractory patch. The Cold Smoker works fine in the Guru port but common sense would dictate the vapor would be more effective if released closer to the target. These are exactly two tiles in size and will be available in both the 25 and 28mm tile sizes.

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-12 at 4.16.46 AM.jpeg

While the idea of drilling a hole in my KK is about enough to give me the cold sweats, doing this mod would free up the Guru port so the cold smoker could be used in tandem with the guru.

I'm thinking a setup like this could kick out some killer jerky, smoked and dried with precision.

As we futzed with this we realized that the tube does not have the tapered sleeve adapter to secure the smoker.  We will do this with SS Allen head bolts of course.  We can't make the tube larger because then we exceed the tile height.  I'm going to make up one more 5 tile version with a tapered sleeve to play with also.

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 10.56.06 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 10.56.05 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 10.56.08 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 10.56.06 AM (1).jpeg

• Like 2

Boring into the jacket and tiles of the KK seem a bit dodgy.  What about a Pebble Tile KK like mine?  A small diamond saw to cut the tiles into a rectangular hole would be necessary.

I am with MGUERRA use a smaller fire and lower the grill to get the meats closer to the smoker.  And for cheese smoking putting it down there would work too.

Guess I'm not seeing the advantage of moving the cold smoker closer to the food. It produces plenty of smoke. That smoke will fill the interior of the KK via diffusive processes -- good old convection and turbulent mixing. Moving the food closer to the source means you'll get a higher concentration in one spot and less outward from there. I'd rather rely on good ol' fashion turbulent mixing to get me a homogeneous distribution of smoke and put the food where I will. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, HalfSmoke said:

Guess I'm not seeing the advantage of moving the cold smoker closer to the food. It produces plenty of smoke. That smoke will fill the interior of the KK via diffusive processes -- good old convection and turbulent mixing. Moving the food closer to the source means you'll get a higher concentration in one spot and less outward from there. I'd rather rely on good ol' fashion turbulent mixing to get me a homogeneous distribution of smoke and put the food where I will. 

Spoken like a true Mechanical Engineer!! Fluid dynamic rule, baby!

2 minutes ago, MacKenzie said:

It not that you want it closer to the food but I believe that it is better if the smoke doesn't have to travel thru the burning lump when doing a hot smoke.

Don't see why that's the case. The only difference is that the smoke will be passing through the flame front which has an opportunity to burn off any unburned reactants. This is exactly what the smoke pot is doing.

On 12/17/2016 at 5:48 PM, DennisLinkletter said:

As we futzed with this we realized that the tube does not have the tapered sleeve adapter to secure the smoker.  We will do this with SS Allen head bolts of course.  We can't make the tube larger because then we exceed the tile height.  I'm going to make up one more 5 tile version with a tapered sleeve to play with also.

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 10.56.06 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 10.56.05 AM.jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 10.56.08 AM.jpegWhatsApp Image 2016-12-15 at 10.56.06 AM (1).jpeg

Dennis, what would you suggest with the Pebble Tiles???

I've never said the smoker is inefficient or would not work if used down below, I will say it works best if there is a small fire burning to create some circulation and carry the smoke up to where the meat is. That's fine unless you want to actually cold smoke something.
If there is no fire, the smoke definitely gathers below the firebox and common sense would lead me to believe there would be condensation of some of that vapor down there. Also the cleanest smoke is not a huge fire raging in the cold smoker. Boring a hole through refractory cement and insulation is actually easy if you use three bits and take it upslowly.. The only challenge is when you get to the second or third bit and start hitting the rigid stainless shards!  LOL  That is the time you want to ensure you have a good grip on your drill.  If it was not do-able for someone with basic workshop skills I would not make it avaialble.. Yes doing it on a pebble is going to be much more skill intensive to get a factory installed look.  I'm just getting my feet back under myself after traveling to Thailand on the 31st and running myself ragged to the point of getting a crippling migrane and being unable to work a few nights.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, FotonDrv said:

Dennis, what would you suggest with the Pebble Tiles???

With your tiling skills,  I know it would just take some effort with a Dremel but folks without some experience cutting tiles would not want to tackle the pebble install.

We're also futzing with a flexible tube that runs the smoke up to the base of the charcoal basket from the inside.

8 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

So Dennis, is the front of the KK better than the side or back to drill the new port for the CS?

Where ever you want the cold smoker to sit..  Easiest access but it's the same for the smoke.

I also shipped some sets of drill bits for those who may not have them to save them a trip to the store.

9 minutes ago, DennisLinkletter said:

I've never said the smoker is inefficient or would not work if used down below, I will say it works best if there is a small fire burning to create some circulation and carry the smoke up to where the meat is. That's fine unless you want to actually cold smoke something.
If there is no fire, the smoke definitely gathers below the firebox and common sense would lead me to believe there would be condensation of some of that vapor down there. Also the cleanest smoke is not a huge fire raging in the cold smoker. Boring a hole through refractory cement and insulation is actually easy if you use three bits and take it upslowly.. The only challenge is when you get to the second or third bit and start hitting the rigid stainless shards!  LOL  That is the time you want to ensure you have a good grip on your drill.  If it was not do-able for someone with basic workshop skills I would not make it avaialble.. Yes doing it on a pebble is going to be much more skill intensive to get a factory installed look.  I'm just getting my feet back under myself after traveling to Thailand on the 31st and running myself ragged to the point of getting a crippling migrane and being unable to work a few nights.

This makes sense. For COLD smoking, without a heat source, you have only the cold smoker itself driving the flow. Not much to diffuse the smoke evenly, although any jet drives mixing with the medium it exhausts into. Condensation of some vapor doesn't bother me; don't think that would add up to much "loss". Honestly, a small battery operated, slow speed fan might be all you need to drive some circulation for cold smoking. 

Just now, HalfSmoke said:

This makes sense. For COLD smoking, without a heat source, you have only the cold smoker itself driving the flow. Not much to diffuse the smoke evenly, although any jet drives mixing with the medium it exhausts into. Condensation of some vapor doesn't bother me; don't think that would add up to much "loss". Honestly, a small battery operated, slow speed fan might be all you need to drive some circulation for cold smoking. 

It's not really even loss it just collects down there.  A small fan most definitely would be a great McGyver solution but not something I would sell.. bit rinky dinky.. LOL