Steve M

Baby back ribs Cookoff

One of the cooks the other day inspired me to do some baby backs with chimichurri. I decided to compare it against one of my favorite pre-made rubs - slap yo daddy all purpose rub. My BIL made a fresh batch of chimichurri last night and we added to the ribs, wrapped them and put them in the fridge overnight. I got up this morning around 7 to fire up the grill.

Started the day at 32 degrees outside with a nice frost on the kk

IMG_2968.JPG

By 9, the kk was humming along at 275 and I added the 4 racks; two with my rub and 2 with the chimichurri. Nice combination of smoke and steam coming out of the kk. the smoke pot had been going for about 20 minutes with chunks of applewood.

IMG_2969.JPG

this pic (below) was after about an hour and a half. They got their first spritzing with a apple cider vinegar/apple juice combination.

IMG_2970.JPG

We are about half way into the cook with the pic below.

IMG_2973.JPG

At this point, I wanted to hit the chimichurri ribs with more sauce so I moved everything to the racks.

IMG_2975.JPG

Just before pulling in the pic below. It took about 6.5 hours to get to this point where they passed the "bend" test.

IMG_2977.JPG

Getting ready to cut:

IMG_2978.JPGIMG_2979.JPGIMG_2980.JPG

IMG_2981.JPG

This batch may have been my favorite. I really like the chimichurri on the BBR's.

• Like 4