billg71

Putting your new KK on your deck? You need help!

2 hours ago, tony b said:

Just a bit of feedback on Trex. It's not 100% maintenance free. Over the last few years, I have developed a lichen problem on it. Have tried various treatments to eliminate it, but most recommended chemical treatments are so harsh that they'll kill everything it contacts, so I've just learned to put up with some of it. YMMV.

I had some new Trex bubble in the hot sun...

Thanks guys,  I asked the lowes deck guy and my carpenter if we made the right choice and they said the new trex transcend line is a lot different than the other tiers and that nothing is ever perfect but as gars a maintenance free its the best for what I had budget for.  I guess we'll see how it plays out, if it doesn't work out i can always blame my wife who said we had to go trex...adding to Bills point the tiki torch will match my grill.  adding the welding mat is all black and has the same finish as my grill.

no pictures yet as I'm not sure Dennis has even shipped them yet...this is me getting ahead of myself and excited about the grills, I Love food.

• Haha 1

Most people would consider me a very good builder.  I used to have five guys that helped me out but two of them no longer will work with me.  They say I need to supply them with more and better tools.  But what do they know?  The guy on the bottom after just one day went home and never came back to get his check?

27saw cut.jpg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

Old thread but I'll add to it.  It will largely depend on the materials you use to build your decking AND the construction of the decking.  Largely how the beams and joists attach to the posts.  Often construction is sub-par and beams are attached to posts using nails or non structural lag bolts to the side.  This isn't structural vs putting the beam on top of the post.  Same goes for joists and joist hangers.  Ideally joists are placed on top of beams vs. utilizing joist hangers.  People also use screws instead of nails and screws do not behave correctly.  

• Like 1

My 23” sat in one spot on an unreinforced deck for years. The deck started sagging there to the point I thought it unsafe. A guy came out today, added some new piers and 4x4’s and leveled it. What a difference, I don’t feel like I will roll off the deck there anymore! Definitely reinforce your deck for a KK. A failure could hurt or kill somebody.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1