billg71

Sous vide or not to sous vide? That is the question.

My apologies to Shakespeare but it just seemed to fit.

I have a Joule circulator on order and I'm looking forward to learning how to use it so I'm not exactly an impartial observer. I can see using it for steaks and veggies but I just can't seem to get my head wrapped around its use for traditional smoked barbecue. After thinking about it I have to say I don't see any real advantage in taking several hours to bring a steak up to 115 so I can sear it on the grill to medium-rare versus the 30 minutes it would take  to just reverse-sear it on the grill I have to fire up anyway. Am I missing something?

I'm reading on sites where people are talking about using sous vide to cook briskets and pork butts anywhere from 24-72 hours either before or after smoking. I just don't see the point. If I have to smoke the meat anyway then why would I spend an extra day or three in the process?

It seems to me sous vide is targeted for the commercial restaurant where proteins can be brought up to just below normal serving temp and held there safely until an order is placed, then quickly finished and served.

Please tell me why I haven't spent $200 for something I'll use once and toss in a drawer because it's a PITA to use. I have enough of those already. :(

Thanks,

Bill

Edited by billg71

I purchased an anova SV last year and never took it or of the box.  I tried a SV dish at a restaurant and was not partial to the texture of the meat.  

In my quest to downsize my BBQ and cooking clutter, it was on the chopping block and sold quickly.  

I have really adapted to keeping it simple bbq and it works for me.  

Others here love it, but just wasn't my jam

I have an Anova SV. It's useful as a time management technique. You can hold foods in the water bath for a long time. I tend to use it more for veg than proteins. Let them cook in the water bath while I'm grilling the meat. Otherwise, I agree that it isn't a substitute for grilling or smoking. I've seen those articles about making sous vide  "smoked brisket" and asked myself why? Much easier to just smoke a freakin' brisket than to torture it in a water bath. 

Sous vide reminds me a lot of when microwaves first became affordable in the 70's. There were all sorts of cookbooks and promises that it would replace your oven. Now everyone uses it for reheating  leftovers and popcorn because that's all it's really good for. That, to me, is sous vide. 

Edited by HalfSmoke

Love my Anova SV.   I use it for different foods and results.   Not to substitute ... but to augment.   Although I use it on thick steaks I have found I value it more for veggies (potatoes!) and seafood.   Like many kitchen tools it is not absolutely necessary ... but another tool in the toolbox for different results.  

• Like 1

Variety is the spice of life.:) I love my SV machine. Fantastic for fish, scallops, making yogurt, creme brule, warming up leftovers, SV eggs(if you get it right) are out  of this world. I would do without the microwave in a heart beat but not the SV, no comparison. As Jon mentioned it is great for doing boneless skinless chicken breasts, so little effort needed and a lot more flexible on the timing, if you run over the time, no big deal. 

Like any new tool one needs to work at it and learn how best it works for what you want to do.

• Like 1

Thanks all, I'm starting to see where it could be a nice tool for certain that are difficult to grill without drying out and, of course, veggies. I'm definitely going to have to try it on chicken breasts, those things turn into jerky 5 minutes after I put them on the grill!

And I'm glad to hear I'm not the only one that doesn't see a use for it when barbecuing large proteins.

Best,

Bill

Bill,

i thought I posted this before but I couldn't find it.................here is a cut & paste copy.  We have have fantastic results with this method on pork also:

I have been experimenting with chicken breasts and sous vide, trying to get better tasting result.  One of the experiments has proven to be a winner.     

I take the boneless, skinless chicken breasts and put them into a freezer zip lock bag.  I pour my different marinade into the bags, fully covering the meat and then seal them getting a much air as possible out of the zip lock bag (it is easy with the amount of liquid in the zip lock).  Then I vacuum seal the meat (in the ziplock) with my Foodsaver machine.

I put the finished package into the freezer.   When we figure out what flavor chicken we want that evening, I put the frozen meat package into the SV at around 135*F. and usually keep it in the bath for about 3 hours.  I take the meat out, cut off the vacuum bag and carry out the zip lock bag to the grill and throw it on for a quick sear.

I have found that the taste of the marinade goes all the way into the center of even the biggest the chicken breasts.  The sear adds a nice flavor and you can throw on a little smoking wood if you desire!  

Is one little extra packaging step but you don't have to worry about the vacuum sealer sucking up the marinade.  Have found that salad dressing works great as a cheap marinade. Zesty Italian dressing is great.  Vidalia vinaigrette is also excellent.  

It is a quick and tasty way of cooking that works great for us. 

As another Anova owner, I'll chime in, too. I use mine a lot. Makes the best shrimp - perfect. There's a whole section in this Forum dedicated to SV cooking. Check it out if you haven't already. And if you're still in the market, there's a Black Friday special on Anova's right now - Precision Cooker Bluetooth for $99. Best price I've ever seen it for. Here's the code for it - anova2-4bttb393.

• Like 1

I, too like it for chicken breasts. Additionally, short ribs are a different animal with sous vide. Completely different. I like them both ways.

Further, lobster meat is unmatchable out of the sous vide. 

Other than that, I do use it to have steaks ready to sear, while preparing the rest of the food for a dinner party. Very convienent.

Those would be my main uses after playing with it for a few years.

Oh, I also use it to defrost and warm up leftovers without further cooking. Mostly brisket and pulled pork, sometimes ribs.

I don't use mine a ton. I used it a lot when I first got it and would make yogurt every other weened for smoothies. My wife stopped drinking smoothies and, therefore, stopped making me one in the mornings (and I'm not going to get up a minute earlier than I have to;) ) so I don't do that anymore.

It is great for planning meals ahead, unfortunately, I am not. I never think to get it set up in time.

Chicken breasts are probably the most common use now.

I've also done cheaper steak cuts then seared after and thought they turned out fantastic. Made a cheap cut feel like an expensive cut.

43 minutes ago, tony b said:

As another Anova owner, I'll chime in, too. I use mine a lot. Makes the best shrimp - perfect. There's a whole section in this Forum dedicated to SV cooking. Check it out if you haven't already. And if you're still in the market, there's a Black Friday special on Anova's right now - Precision Cooker Bluetooth for $99. Best price I've ever seen it for. Here's the code for it - anova2-4bttb393.

The code is a single use code. I have one, too. If anyone wants mine, PM me and if it's still availble, I'll send you the code.

I belive you can also use it for a discount on the WiFi model but it's not down to $99. I think it's something like $30 off of either one. I tried to biuld an order on their site, but I couldn't figure out how to check out???

Edited by cschaaf

18 hours ago, bosco said:

I purchased an anova SV last year and never took it or of the box.  I tried a SV dish at a restaurant and was not partial to the texture of the meat.  

Fair enough, but you can adjust the time and temperature to change the texture. It takes some dialing in to find what you like, but I have no doubt you would have found a time/temp that turned out great for you. It might have cost you several hundred dollars in chicken breasts, but you would have got it eventually. ;)

• Like 1

Oh, I forgot to mention another favorite thing to use the SV for - fried chicken. Yes, FRIED chicken. You cook the pieces in the SV bath first so that they are completely done. Then, you just do your breading after taking them out of the SV bath and put them into the fry pan just until the breading gets nice and crispy. No worries about overcooking the breading to make sure that the chicken is thoroughly cooked inside. And, you can go a bit hotter on the oil temp to ensure a good crust - less greasy, too. 

• Like 4

Thanks for the coupon code Tony, but I've already ordered and paid for the Joule and I think one will be enough for now. Don't you just love these companies that will take your money today and promise to ship you your order in "4-6 weeks"? :?

I like your suggestion for fried chicken but if I do it better than SWMBO I'd be looking for a place to sleep. I may try to sneak it in regardless, wish me luck. Grilled chicken breasts are a no-brainer, I'm sure she'd like one that wasn't chicken jerky.

Thanks to all for their input, I'm now looking forward to heating up my hot tub. :) I'm not sure I'll be dunking any briskets or butts in it but it does seem it has some very good applications.

Best,

Bill

16 hours ago, billg71 said:

Thanks to all for their input, I'm now looking forward to heating up my hot tub. :) I'm not sure I'll be dunking any briskets or butts in it but it does seem it has some very good applications.

Edited by bryan

Just used mine last night to do mashed potatoes - red bliss spuds (medium dice), half-n-half, butter, fresh thyme, parsley, roasted garlic, S&P. 183F for an hour. Drain, but save the liquids, riced the potatoes, then mashed with just enough of the cooking liquid to get the right consistency, then finished off with a big dollop of Boursin cheese (Garlic & Herbs). This is a riff off of Tyler Florence's method for making mashed potatoes. The key is to cook them in the dairy, not boil them in water. 

• Like 2