billg71

Sous vide or not to sous vide? That is the question.

5 hours ago, tony b said:

Just used mine last night to do mashed potatoes - red bliss spuds (medium dice), half-n-half, butter, fresh thyme, parsley, roasted garlic, S&P. 183F for an hour. Drain, but save the liquids, riced the potatoes, then mashed with just enough of the cooking liquid to get the right consistency, then finished off with a big dollop of Boursin cheese (Garlic & Herbs). This is a riff off of Tyler Florence's method for making mashed potatoes. The key is to cook them in the dairy, not boil them in water. 

Sounds like Alton Brown's recipe for mashed potatoes minus the cheese and using whole milk instead of half-n-half. And minus the sous vide, of course. I'm definitely going to try this, thanks!

Bill

Tyler actually uses heavy cream instead of Half-n-Half and he's doing it like AB in a regular pot on the stove (not SV). The SV part is a riff off of the French Laundry. I just don't want to go their extra 5 miles with mashing through the double screens and the pound of butter. 

I'm a junkie for the Boursin cheese. When CostCo has it on sale, like this month, I load up the freezer (it freezes well). Great in lots of things, but my favs are mashed potatoes and omelets. 

Yep, chicken breast at 60C is epic.

I use it for big steaks of 2 inches plus especially those bone in ones. Here in Singapore a 1.2kg tomahawk will set me back over 60 bucks US so I don't like making a mistake!

Great for tough cuts medium rare and turning them into tender wonderfulness.

I did a brisket once before I had a KK. Was actually pretty good! But not as fun!

Meal planning has been good.

Slow stews are epic in the water bath.

But it's important to figure out what works for you. For example, I cook salmon on a non stick pan over a gas burner because I have it down perfect: can't do it better on the KK or sousvide.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk