DennisLinkletter

New Rear Gas Door Lock

Last week there was a post about ways to keep the rear gas port door from popping open from the air blast created from the silicone gaskets.  
We had a little pow wow and came up with this.. Pretty slick eeh?  We bad.. we bad..;-)
If demand we'll make up a bunch of these threaded rods so users can upgrade their rear doors.

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-17 at 3.32.04 PM (1).jpeg

WhatsApp Image 2016-11-17 at 3.32.03 PM.jpeg

rearGasPortLock.jpg

• Like 3

Bad to the bone, Dennis. I'll buy one for my 23" for sure!!

How timely, as I just discovered my back door had snuck open a crack and caused a load of charcoal to burn completely up when I thought it was out. Was just about to break down and get some silicone gasket material, but the temps here have turned too cold for it to set up. So, this is perfect timing!!

12 hours ago, tomahawk66 said:

Again... I actually don't understand what the problem is that people face...? So is the "other door" (one on the left side on a 32 BB) popping open when you shut down everything?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

It's the door in the back for the gas insert, that almost none of us use. When you shut the lid and latch it to the 2nd position with the top hat closed, the pressure spike inside can push open the door and leak enough air in to not snuff out the coals. The "out of sight, out of mind" dilemma - who checks the rear door that you never use? 

@DennisLinkletter - given that almost no one uses this feature, I'm surprised that it's still a "standard" on the KK and not an option for a custom build, similar to the dual-fuel arrangement. I suspect that it would involve remolding almost all the KKs to eliminate it? 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, tony b said:

@DennisLinkletter - given that almost no one uses this feature, I'm surprised that it's still a "standard" on the KK and not an option for a custom build, similar to the dual-fuel arrangement. I suspect that it would involve remolding almost all the KKs to eliminate it? 

If I look at how few gas burners I sell, I should just make a plug and drop this feature/make it special order.  The same gas burner could be modded to be used thru the front draft door.

It's the door in the back for the gas insert, that almost none of us use. When you shut the lid and latch it to the 2nd position with the top hat closed, the pressure spike inside can push open the door and leak enough air in to not snuff out the coals. The "out of sight, out of mind" dilemma - who checks the rear door that you never use? 

Oh... so I guess on my 32 it's on the left side then?
I actually use it for getting hot fast when searing using the basket splitter!

Never had an issue with it popping open thankfully - even when shutting down everything after a 700F pizza cook.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk