EGGARY

Preferments

Used a sponge preferment when I had French, Italian & SFSD sourdough cultures when I lived in Monterey area.   Unfortunately I just don't have the fridge space for same now.   The flavor for all things Neapolitan dough mix-up was incredible; ditto waffle batter.   I was experimenting with different hydration %'s when move time came about ... 

I don't understand your question regarding "...how much flour should be taken out" though.

Edited by dstr8

1 hour ago, dstr8 said:

Used a sponge preferment when I had French, Italian & SFSD sourdough cultures when I lived in Monterey area.   Unfortunately I just don't have the fridge space for same now.   The flavor for all things Neapolitan dough mix-up was incredible; ditto waffle batter.   I was experimenting with different hydration %'s when move time came about ... 

I don't understand your question regarding "...how much flour should be taken out" though.

If a recipe calls for "x" amount of Flour and if using a Preferment, how much less of the "X" amount of Flour would be used ?

49 minutes ago, EGGARY said:

If a recipe calls for "x" amount of Flour and if using a Preferment, how much less of the "X" amount of Flour would be used ?

The same amount that is in the preferment. Same for the liquid. Watch the video that I linked for you above. It explains everything. 

Here's an explicit example. Suppose your recipe calls for 500g flour and 300g water, and you want to substitute 100g poolish. Since  a poolish is 100% hydration, it contains 50g flour and 50g water. You would then use 450g flour, 250g water, and 100g poolish to maintain the same hydration as the original formula. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, HalfSmoke said:

Here's an explicit example. Suppose your recipe calls for 500g flour and 300g water, and you want to substitute 100g poolish. Since  a poolish is 100% hydration, it contains 50g flour and 50g water. You would then use 450g flour, 250g water, and 100g poolish to maintain the same hydration as the original formula. 

Thank you for explaining this for me.  You explained it well.