Shuley

Rack of lamb

My dad texted me first thing this morning because he bought three racks of lamb and he wants me to smoke them on the kamado. Seeing as how I have never cooked a rack of lamb before and I know he wants a smokey flavor I looked into this APL recipe that I may base my cook on http://www.adamperrylang.com/recipes/rack-of-lamb-crusted-with-grain-mustard-and-chili-powder/

Any advice? Is this a good method?

Sounds good lamb can cook quick or slow. If you want to impress your dad leave the rack uncovered in the fridge for a couple of days a quick dry ageing method that suits a lamb rack well score the fat and set the grill for just under 250 say 235 in three hours you will have the best tasting lamb. Or you could just sear the fat side and then cook it indirect for 10 to 20min and your done

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

My only suggestion is md rare at the most. Everytime I've cooked them md rare they came out nice and tender basically melt in your mouth. 

Not long ago I ordered lamb cutlets at a restaurant (rack of lamb cut into individual bone in pieces). I ordered it md rare. They served it md well. Toughest crap I ever ate. I'll never order that at a restaurant again. I doubt I'll ever go to that restaurant again. If that's the best they can do they don't deserve my money. 

• Like 1

Second Charles on the no more than med-rare.

My go-to for lamb chops/racks is my house mix of 2 parts Penzey's Greek, 1 part Penzey's Turkish, and 1 part Penzey's Berbere. If you don't like spicy, you can drop the Berbere (or cut back). The Greek is more oregano forward, while the Turkish is more cumin forward, so this blend hits a nice balance for me. YMMV. 

Plan B is a nice slurry of olive oil with lots of minced garlic, rosemary, parsley, oregano, a touch of mint and S&P. 

• Like 1

Sounds good lamb can cook quick or slow. If you want to impress your dad leave the rack uncovered in the fridge for a couple of days a quick dry ageing method that suits a lamb rack well score the fat and set the grill for just under 250 say 235 in three hours you will have the best tasting lamb. Or you could just sear the fat side and then cook it indirect for 10 to 20min and your done

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'd try the leaving it out for three days but we are leaving town tomorrow :)

My only suggestion is md rare at the most. Everytime I've cooked them md rare they came out nice and tender basically melt in your mouth. 

Not long ago I ordered lamb cutlets at a restaurant (rack of lamb cut into individual bone in pieces). I ordered it md rare. They served it md well. Toughest crap I ever ate. I'll never order that at a restaurant again. I doubt I'll ever go to that restaurant again. If that's the best they can do they don't deserve my money. 

I definitely agree. While I have never cooked rack of lamb before I have had it a number of times. Whenever someone tells me they don't like lamb I tell them they probably had it overcooked. Lol
  • Like 1

Second Charles on the no more than med-rare.

My go-to for lamb chops/racks is my house mix of 2 parts Penzey's Greek, 1 part Penzey's Turkish, and 1 part Penzey's Berbere. If you don't like spicy, you can drop the Berbere (or cut back). The Greek is more oregano forward, while the Turkish is more cumin forward, so this blend hits a nice balance for me. YMMV. 

Plan B is a nice slurry of olive oil with lots of minced garlic, rosemary, parsley, oregano, a touch of mint and S&P. 

The next time I do this I think you have inspired me to try a Greek spin on lamb.

Lamb is like fatty beef: Best cooked rare or medium rare depending on how rendered you want the fat.
If you look at Gordon Ramsey cooking lamb he keeps it really REALLY rare. I like medium rare personally as it gives time for all that tasty fat to render.

A rack is a great thing to do sous vide for a few hours at 55C. Then sear, cool and coat in a parmesan cheese fresh mint and parsley blitzed in the blender (use real parmasan please - that kraft shit you get in America is a disgrace) finish in the KK indirect at 400 until the coating starts to brown and crisp. Trust me it's epic! The 3 hours or so sous vide turns the fat into butter, the cheese herb crust is more addictive than your average class A controlled substance. Serve with dauphinoise potatoes and something green (peas with bacon and mint with butter) and a decent aussie or kiwi red wine and that's perfection!

Dont take my word for it - ask my wife, she always says that was the meal that won her heart!!

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

• Like 3