Sharon

Adventures with 1st rotisserie Chickie!

The rotisserie and lower grill pan arrived promptly last week, even beat it the motor from onegrill here.  After a slight panic that I was missing parts (shafts) and a reassuring call from Dennis, the missing shaft were found in the spare part box that came with my KK.  Motor arrived the next day, more panic, the guides on either side of the motor that slip onto the bracket were too close to the motor.  So I got my trusty flathead screwdriver out and manhandled the motor guides to force it to fit.  Fired up the KK and got the Chickie out, and ready to go.  Oh wait, shaft that went to the motor was unscrewing. Off the the hardware store for some locktight.  Applied it, now got ready again, and loaded the bird.  Oh no, the locktight wasn't holding and the bird and fire were ready.  Only thing left was to reverse the motor to counterclockwise spin.  Took the bird off the rotisserie once again, gave it to my sometime resident engineer husband, who, following excellent instructions posted in maintenance section of this forum, reversed the spin.  So now onto the cook, FINALLY!  

She's a big girl, 5 3/4 lbs. I put a smallish quartered onion in her cavity, brushed her with melted butter spiked with a bit of dark rum, liberally sprinkled lemon pepper, salt, and paprika (for color) on her and was good to go.  A couple chunks of apple wood and we were off to spin.  Between the resident engineer who wouldn't stop peeking, the size of the chicken, and a cold rainy evening, it took longer than expected, but the wait was worth it. The juiciest, prettiest, smoked chicken we've ever tasted!  Wow!  And we thought our gasser made great rotisserie chicken!  Anybody want to buy a nice stainless steel gasser?

Pictures below

IMG_0359.JPG

IMG_0360.JPG

IMG_0363.JPG

IMG_0364.JPG

IMG_0367.JPG

Edited by Sharon
Correct a sentence

Well done, indeed. 

You just described my first rotisserie chicken cook! I was almost ready to chuck the whole mess into the woods in my backyard before i was done! Ended up just spatchcocking the damned thing and cooking it on the upper grate! I applaud your perseverance!

A couple of observations - the Loctite needs to set up for the full 24 hours to be effective. It's not like Super Glue. Also, not surprised that you had to pry the wings out on the motor to slide on the mounting bracket. I'm not sure how many of us had to do this, but I was one of them.