FotonDrv

Lifting Straps

So it was 4 guys carrying and 2 stabilizing, using 2 2x4's and 4 straps?

Did you try stairs with it?

5 minutes ago, bosco said:

We stuck a 2x4 through one side of the kk and one on the other side.

Did you really try lifting it from just 2 straps with it teetering on whatever axis that created?  Man, that sounds harrowing:shock:

If this Big 32 has 4 straps with loops in the ends then 4 guys, big guys, will be used to move just the base shell which I understand is 480 LB without firebox.

Either than or roll it down the driveway on its casters (very steep at first) and through the garage and then down a short 98 ft long) flight of stairs with a shallow 32 degree angle, covered in plywood.  As long as the top is stabilized it should roll just fine, maybe to fine :-)

These are the stairs to clad in plywood.

ShortStairs.JPG

I moved this for Rak a member on the forum.  He had a heart attack and we needed to get his KK up 2 steps onto his deck.  it was killer!  but we managed.

The blue straps are already on the KK upon delivery.  One on each leg.  We fed the 2x4 through 2 of the loops on the right and another on 2 of the loops on the left.  

We lifted initially with nobody stabilizing the KK and almost dropped it as it tilted back onto me.  we lowered it and regrouped.  With two guys standing on the sides, they just kept it steady while 4 of us grunts lifted the KK.  

Roll it as far as you can, use plywood and you should be fine.  If that was my house, I would use 3/4" plywood minimum and cover those stairs.  get 2 on the back end pushing it up the ramp and maybe another one or two with a rope standing at the top pulling and keeping it from rolling back.  I wouldn't even take the lid off, 

Ryan, it is actually going down these stairs and I have  plenty of 1-1/8" plywood.  The biggest part of the equation is this driveway, but I think I might be able to hook the KK with wide nylon loading straps wrapped around it down the steep driveway using the tow hooks on my MINI Cooper.  I think the only problem with that is getting the top part stable while the bottom should roll just fine.

These photos give you an idea of how suddenly steep it is, but it is pretty mellow about 1/3 the way down and then into the garage.  I just have to get it over the speed bumps in front of the garage and the threshold in the garage people door.

IMG_0002.JPG

PB140001.JPG

IMG_0004.JPG

I have my 19"KK on a rolling cart.  It just about took off on me just rolling it down a landscape trailer ramp (18" drop over 3 feet).

I would strongly recommend having your much heavier KK strapped and totally secured to a winch / car / come-along with a backup safety harness.  Once that cooker takes off on you, there will be no stopping it.

I was lucky that mine didn't slide off the cart.     Slow and steady is the key to moving that cooker.  Don't let it get off balance going up/down ramps/stairs.  

It was scary for a few seconds just going down 18".  Your project would be a challenge for professional riggers.   

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Bruce Pearson said:

It would probably be a good idea to take the top off,that way it won't be so top-heavy. Plus the top weighs about 200 lbs

I have been planning to do that.  I understand that a long handles wrench is provided to loosen the hinge and or spring but until I look at it I do not know enough about how to remove it.  My question would be is there ANY tension on that big spring once the lid it up?

I have wide nylon lifting straps, usually used for overhead cranes, that I can wrap around the KK and then fasten to the front of my MINI Cooper with the towing eye bolt (really nice feature) so I can watch it as it goes down that slope as a couple of people steady the top for side to side or forward tipping.  Moving big heavy unwieldy things is always a challenge. 

I plan on photographing the entire process so as disasters happen it can be used as a "What NOT to do" demonstration :-)

• Like 1

That is a question for Dennis.  I would use a few 2x4s on ground with maybe cushions or foam on top to rest lid on.  That will allow you to get your hands under it again later to lift it.  

The ones that were damaged was that the entire weight of the lid rested on a few tiles and they popped off 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, bosco said:

That is a question for Dennis.  I would use a few 2x4s on ground with maybe cushions or foam on top to rest lid on.  That will allow you to get your hands under it again later to lift it.  

The ones that were damaged was that the entire weight of the lid rested on a few tiles and they popped off 

Yup. Now that @FotonDrv has access to the Owner's area, look up my thread titled "Mischief Managed" there to see an example of this.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, FotonDrv said:

I have been planning to do that.  I understand that a long handles wrench is provided to loosen the hinge and or spring but until I look at it I do not know enough about how to remove it.  My question would be is there ANY tension on that big spring once the lid it up?

Yes there is still tension on the spring when the dome is in the open position. I have posted 2 different threads. One is how to adjust your spring tension the other one is step by step with pictures for removing the dome. Check them out as the procedure is the same for all KK's. 

• Like 1

I think you should just hire a crane and be done with it. Trying to manhandle that cooker down those grades and stairs will be time consuming and physically challenging, to put it mildly. Spend another $500-750 or whatever a minimum charge is for a small crane and operator where you live, he'll set the whole crate where you want it in 15 minutes after it gets off the truck. No fuss, no muss, no taking things apart, nobody gets hurt. No additional labor needed.

Or you can spend a whole day futzing around with taking things apart, putting them back together and McGuyvering. Your choice.

In your situation, I'd go for the crane. YMMV.

Edited by billg71

1 hour ago, billg71 said:

I think you should just hire a crane and be done with it. Trying to manhandle that cooker down those grades and stairs will be time consuming and physically challenging, to put it mildly. Spend another $500-750 or whatever a minimum charge is for a small crane and operator where you live, he'll set the whole crate where you want it in 15 minutes after it gets off the truck. No fuss, no muss, no taking things apart, nobody gets hurt. No additional labor needed.

Or you can spend a whole day futzing around with taking things apart, putting them back together and McGuyvering. Your choice.

In your situation, I'd go for the crane. YMMV.

So if I hire a crane how do you think they could lower it into place?  IF I could hire heavy equipment I would do so.  I used to own a Caterpillar bulldozer and am a believer in heavy equipment when possible BUT the closest I could get a crane to the destination is 75 ft but that is not the problem.

There are 3 phase power lines directly above where I took the photo of the driveway looking at the garage.  The other side, downhill slope, of that garage roof covers the patio, which can be seen in the photo taken from the beach side of the home.  Cranes lower things from the space above them and if I tore off the patio roof (very expensive, more than the cost of the KK by 4X+) I could do it with a floating crane pushed up to the beach at high tide, but that is not going to happen.  I like that roof with the stainless steel chimney going through it.

The space between the fence and the garage concrete wall is to narrow.  36 inches and uneven sloped ground which makes that carrying, and especially rolling, a risky proposition.

I have a pro football guy living across the street and I have made contact with a couple of other folks that move/haul things for a living.  I suspect I will be able to get one or 2 more so there is a crown of muscle willing to help. 

I spent the day making a plywood cladding for the stairs(in the photo) that I plan on lowering the KK down onto the patio (32 degree slope) and I have affixed winching/retaining straps to the landing above the stairs and I am 100% positive I can winch up or down 500 pounds that slope.

This indeed will be interesting but not impossible.  In all likelihood I could probably move it by myself, working slow and methodically but if I can get the muscle gathered then it will go smoothly.

43092_10.JPG

IMG_2687.jpeg

IMG_2688.jpeg

IMG_2689.jpeg

43092_15.JPG

fullsizeoutput_122.jpeg

Edited by FotonDrv
adding text

3 hours ago, tony b said:

Dennis posted elsewhere that he recommends setting the lid down on a thick pad of blankets to protect the edges. If you have some thick slabs of styrofoam, that'd probably work, too. 

Thanks, I have several packing/moving blankets/pads, and the styrofoam idea is a nice touch too:-)