beermachine

I hope a KK is in my future

24 minutes ago, beermachine said:

G'day all. I am a ceramic kamado owner and hopefully will upgrade to the KK one day. How did you all get your other halves onboard...lol

Looking forward to participating in the KK forums.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Welcome! Glad to see you wandered over here from the guru.  A fine and serious question, and one I had to work myself earlier this year. In my case I had purchased my first Kamado - a KJ Classic - in May as a replacement for a really old gasser that finally failed. I already had other smokers - a WSM and an insulated cabinet - and so put the KJ through the paces early on to test the vaunted Kamado versatility. It passed the test, so I suggested to my wife that we ditch everything else and go full Kamado. I'd already been drooling over KK's by then, @bosco suggested I wander over here, and Rob @5698k Jedi mind tricked me to the point where resistance was futile (to mix sci fi universes).

In all seriousness, of all the Kamados I'd seen, only the Big Bad 32 had the capacity to replace my insulated cabinet. Wife initially resisted another Grill purchase so soon after the KJ, but I pointed out the logic of buying one set of grills that will last us forever, instead of buying a new one every few years or so. In the long run it is cheaper. Even so, wife wasn't up for me "full Bosco" all at once (23, 32, AND cabinet), so we started with the 23 to see if the KK claims were for real. See my pinned KK vs insulated cabinet thread in the cooking section for the answer to that one. Suffice to say that wife is now fully onboard. 

Edited by HalfSmoke
  • Like 1

Welcome @beermachine nice to see another familiar face. 

Mrs skreef was not thrilled with my first KK. I sold a few things to help the bank account sting. After it arrived she quickly warmed up to it especially after trying out the finger touch opening and closing. 

The second KK was partially her idea. At that point we were both using the KK and having  to shuffle around dishes to get the meal done. The second KK just made sense. Two KK's are definitely better than one. 

A technique some people use is start talking about the BB 32" and it's price. Just keep taking about it and letting her say no. Then when you switch down to talking about the 23" the cost seems much more resonable. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 5698k said:

One start is to let her pick the color.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It has been a tough sell for my wife, but she absolutely loves the flavors that can come from a top class smoker and with the added benefit and a grill AND a break baking oven all rolled into one it makes the sale more palatable, pun intended :-)  Letting her pick the color, or at least have input into the decision is also a good idea.

Now selling things to defray the costs is also a good selling point.  I have several things to sell that I no longer need or can use or want to collect so that sweetens the pot.

Good luck with the brainwashing:-P

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ckreef said:

A technique some people use is start talking about the BB 32" and it's price. Just keep taking about it and letting her say no. Then when you switch down to talking about the 23" the cost seems much more resonable. 

That's what the 42" is supposed to do..  Make the 32" seem much more reasonable.   LOL   ;-)

• Like 5

Looks like the PM I sent you over there worked!

welcome aboard... I could tell by your post recently that you were leaning towards this.  The best advice to give you is that you can let your wife honestly know that this is the very last cooker that you will purchase.  

It is the very best and the highest quality.  You will be blown away by its ability and superiority over other Kamados.  That is not hype... that is the truth.  

It is only a matter of time now to be honest. You have the KK flu and I give you a short time now before you purchase.  Take advantage of either the Black Friday or the discontinued 22 sale.  

Welcome to the forum this is a great group

• Like 2