DavidS

Ready for the grill

I went out and loaded my grill with ABTs for the Chiefs game a few minutes ago. The wind is carrying the smoke in through the open sunroom and windows. While I was looking at this thread, my brain was interpreting the smells of sweet potato drippings (last cook), lump smoke, and ABT drippings as chuck roll cooking.

Then reality set it - Im doing spatchcock chicken later. Now I am jealous :D

I would be very interested in at what temp or temps it plateaus at and for how long..What finish temp are you shooting for ? Do you plan to foil at any time. ? Inquiring minds :-)

Would love to be cooking today but 25mph winds and prediction of 2-3" of rain kind of "dampen" things.. Just not a true Q die hard I guess :-)

I used Sam's Special Mustard sauce from Paul Kirk's Championship Barbecue Sauces book and Wild Willy' Wonderful Rub from Smoke & Spice cookbook. The Mustard Sauce is great it adds another layer of flavor and holds the rub on nicely. Temp of chuck roll after 21 hrs is now 179. Still a little ways to go. It is very nice cooking long cooks with the KK and Guru, have only opened to take the 19 1/2 hour picture. :D:D

My limited (one try) experience with chuck roll found that with such a big piece of meat.. those last 15 degrees may take quite a while.. I actually had to add charcoal after starting out with a full basket.. If you find that to be the case.. don't be afraid to fill er up.. I was a little light and for some reason the meat temp went backwards with KK temp reasonably steady.

It was frustrating and given the amount of time , I was concerned about dryness. I took it off at a lower temp.. It was far from dry but could have been a little more tender.. Interestingly enough, I used the same mustard slather and rub.. Quite a coincidence. Waiting for full report. :-)

R