FastGlass

Smoke reduced Jambalaya...

1 hour ago, Shuley said:

Do you not stir this jambalaya?

NO!!! Thats why I took the time to photo and explain the steps...its a bit different than a traditional Jambalaya, though the ingredients are about the same.
Certain ingredients cook faster than others, and on top of that (pun intended), the SHAPE of the cone will allow for the most surface area for the smoke, combined with the order it goes in, also letting the liquids seep down over the cook, to thoroughly saturate the foods with both heat and flavor. The Andouille, which is key, is already smoked, and you also want to protect the shrimp a bit. That said, all the juices reduce down over the herbs and spices and flavor the broth, which in turn gets absorbed by the rice. The Plum tomatoes get dry smoked, turning their inherent acidity into smoky, savory sweetness.
THEN you blend it all up!
Doing it this way also has the added benefit of giving you some separation of texture...very important (to me). The celery and the Bell pepper, even once mixed afterwards, remain crisp. Nice!
Trust me...It'll be the best Jambalaya you ever had! No recipe of mine goes in the box until its PERFECT.
This ones in the box.

Edited by FastGlass
  • Like 1

NO!!! Thats why I took the time to photo and explain the steps...its a bit different than a traditional Jambalaya, though the ingredients are about the same.
Certain ingredients cook faster than others, and on top of that (pun intended), the SHAPE of the cone will allow for the most surface area for the smoke, combined with the order it goes in, also letting the liquids seep down over the cook, to thoroughly saturate the foods with both heat and flavor. The Andouille, which is key, is already smoked, and you also want to protect the shrimp a bit. That said, all the juices reduce down over the herbs and spices and flavor the broth, which in turn gets absorbed by the rice. The Plum tomatoes get dry smoked, turning their inherent acidity into smoky, savory sweetness.
THEN you blend it all up!
Doing it this way also has the added benefit of giving you some separation of texture...very important (to me). The celery and the Bell pepper, even once mixed afterwards, remain crisp. Nice!
Trust me...It'll be the best Jambalaya you ever had! No recipe of mine goes in the box until its PERFECT.
This ones in the box.

Thanks for the clarification. I may have to try this technique. Your results look stellar.
  • Like 1