Pequod

KK as Steam Oven for Bread

Is that what the Aussie's call this dish, :smt046:coffee2:

@HalfSmoke, I have Atlas also and I think if it is not cutting the dough correctly it is the hydration level of the dough that is causing the problem. You know that if the dough is too moist you can  put the pasta back together and re-roll it after a dusting of flour and then cut it again. If it's too dry and crumbles while cutting you can wet the dough and re-roll it too but this is not as easy.  

All that being said I have bought the pasta roller attachments for my mixer and that is what I used for rolling/cutting my pasta. It is a fantastic mixer and the attachments really do their job and yes, I have had Kitchen aide mixers before but like this one sooooooooooo much better. Operates on simple principles, no gears plastic or otherwise to mess up. The same place that sells the Komo mills sells the mixers.

http://pleasanthillgrain.com/ankarsrum-swedish-stand-mixer-heavy-duty-kitchen-mixer

You'd think I had stocks in the company but I don't. For me it was one of my  lifetime best buys as was the KK. :) They have a huge sale on at the moment.

Had a wonderful bolognese last night at a little Mom and Pop Italian place. It was all homemade, but the best part was that I didn't have to make it. :smt023

Nicely done, MacKenzie. I generally do OK with the wider pastas with the Atlas, but struggle with the angel hair cutter. 

Edited by tony b

15 hours ago, MacKenzie said:

I went to follow up a lead on getting some Red Fife wheat berries and lucked out. Ordered some berries and bought a loaf of red fife bread.

Yes, we've tried Red Fife wheat berries for a range of applications. Pie crust: Not as flaky. Pasta: Clear winner. Bread?

In multiple tries with free form "artisan" loaves (no bread pan) I get the spread out sploosh I used to get with any "green" flour (not aged) until I learned about ascorbic acid as a dough conditioner. It is as if Red Fife wheat is unresponsive to this conditioner.

Edited by Syzygies

I have written Dennis privately for advice on the best gasket retrofit for my 2009 23" KK Ultimate.

For indoor ovens, a common warning that comes with using ample steam is possible damage to the oven. Electronics? Glass door? Hasn't been my problem.

For a KK, the gaskets are perhaps the most vulnerable component. When steam condenses back to water, it transfers a massive wallop of energy; that's why steam burns are so dangerous. Perhaps the KK gaskets are glued on fine for normal use, but can't withstand constant bombardment by steam.

I'm too hooked on bread to give up this practice, I'll figure this out, but in the interest of full disclosure I wanted to raise this possible issue.

• Like 2

My sieve finally arrived it has been on order for weeks and weeks. It is the only sieve I have that has a serial number. This is the one syzygies said that he likes for removing some of the bran from home-ground wheat berries when making flour. We had an 8-10 hours of freezing rain last evening which led to about 6 hours of no power and therefore no water. Today I spent quite a few hours getting the ice off the deck so I could get out to feed the birds and squirrels. Needless to say I was hungry afterwords that I thought the best thing to do was make a batch of homemade spaghetti and try the sieve out. :)

Sieve.jpg

Spaghetti Dinner.jpg

Spaghetti Close Up.jpg

Thanks, Syzygies.:)

• Like 3

Thread revival:   I should probably start a new thread but going to ask here first.   Does anyone know if the KoMo Classic grain mill will grind Flint corn?   They do state it will grind Dent corn; however Dent corn isn't as hard overall as Flint corn.

Thx in advance!

Dan

Thread revival:   I should probably start a new thread but going to ask here first.   Does anyone know if the KoMo Classic grain mill will grind Flint corn?   They do state it will grind Dent corn; however Dent corn isn't as hard overall as Flint corn.
Thx in advance!
Dan
I have not tried to grind corn at all so I can't be of help.
  • Like 1