ckreef

1st Real Test - New Camera

On 12/6/2016 at 9:41 AM, mguerra said:

I was asked to take a couple of test pictures in low light with a high ISO setting so we could see how well it did in low light situations. I took these pictures yesterday afternoon when not much ambient light was coming in the room. 

Both pictures were taken with ISO 25600. On a tripod with the camera lense about 24" from the subject. 

This picture is with the 50mm lense, 1/125, f5.6

JT50mm-125-56sm.jpg

This picture was taken with the 16mm lense, 1/125, f5.6

JT16mm-125-56sm.jpg

Posted for anyone interested. 

Were you in manual mode, or one of the priority modes? Did you pop the shutter with your finger, or a cable release? One thing every photog should have is a remote shutter release, either a cable or a wireless remote. The wireless remote is really useful for a picture you are in! It has other uses too. But in any case these remote methods nearly eliminate camera shake that occurs when you use your finger. Most important at slow shutter speeds and high zooms. Those are really good pics for such a high iso!

I've been meaning to ask, and this is probably the group to answer, but is there a file size limit for photos posted on the site? I have all the "required" photos for my Komodo introductions, but they are all normal 2+ meg size. Do I need to resize them all before posting?  If so, what size? Thanks.

Jon

17 minutes ago, jonj said:

I've been meaning to ask, and this is probably the group to answer, but is there a file size limit for photos posted on the site? I have all the "required" photos for my Komodo introductions, but they are all normal 2+ meg size. Do I need to resize them all before posting?  If so, what size? Thanks.

Jon

I don't know the limits but I think the forum will resize them. I always resize them myself down to somewhere around 1024x???.

Usually on forums you run out of total upload per post size limits if you try and upload a bunch of really large files. 

Okay I talked Mrs skreef into letting me play with one of the softboxes before Christmas. Here it is. 

The back with 2 switches. 

SBa.jpg

The cloth diffuser in place. 

SBb.jpg

Inside the softbox. Four 40 watt special photography 5500k daylight bulbs. Those are really big bulbs compared to what you buy for your house. 

SBc.jpg

My attempt at showing how much light it puts out. 

SBd.jpg

A quick test shot. Last picture using the apples. My family wants to eat my props - LOL 

SBe.jpg

Very happy with the purchase. After Christmas when I get the other 2 softboxes I'll post a full review showing everything that came with the setup. 

A shipping story - this 3 softbox set was $150. I put it in my cart and proceeded to checkout. When it got to the final screen it was $43 in shipping. Crap I knew it was a big box and going to cost a bit in shipping but not almost 50 dollars. I didn't do anything, I just left it as is since I needed to think about this and let the shipping sink in. 

About 3 hours later I got an email from the company - We see you didn't finish checking out. Here use this coupon code for free shipping. 

Yea I applied the coupon for free shipping and completed the order. If they would have offered that in the first place I wouldn't have hesitated. 

Will have to try this stall tactic more often and see what it gets me. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ckreef said:

<snip>

A shipping story - this 3 softbox set was $150. I put it in my cart and proceeded to checkout. When it got to the final screen it was $43 in shipping. Crap I knew it was a big box and going to cost a bit in shipping but not almost 50 dollars. I didn't do anything, I just left it as is since I needed to think about this and let the shipping sink in. 

About 3 hours later I got an email from the company - We see you didn't finish checking out. Here use this coupon code for free shipping. 

Yea I applied the coupon for free shipping and completed the order. If they would have offered that in the first place I wouldn't have hesitated. 

Will have to try this stall tactic more often and see what it gets me. 

I had a similar experience, though not that great of a discount, buying a 3D printer last week. I looked at a few models from a few different sites and would put them in the shopping cart to calculate shipping. The next day, I had a bunch of $ off coupons in my email box. Most were only $10 or so, but it's better than nothing. 

• Like 1