billg71

So I got to meet "The Boss" today...

A couple of weeks ago my daughter called and asked what I was doing today and could I take a couple of hours off this afternoon for a surprise? I thought it would be for something like graduating from her Master's program or maybe she was getting married or(hopefully) helping her move out of the house into her own place. So I said sure, I'd be happy to.

Then I find out my surprise was a ticket to a book signing by Bruce Springsteen at a local bookstore. I'm a long-time fan, it isn't something I'd go out of my way for but I'm now committed. I run a small business so I busted ass yesterday to get my people paid and called in some favors so I could put enough money in the bank to cover the checks.

The event was scheduled from 12:00 - 2:00 and they were running shuttle buses starting at 8:30 AM. I'm not a big fan of standing in line for hours so I figured if I got there around 1:00 or so I'd be good. So I show up at the location around 1:00, find a local place to park, go into the Starbucks next door and get my Nicaragua Clover. I hit the line abut 1:15, line is moving fast and there aren't a lot of folks behind me. About 45 minutes later it's my turn: I step onto a low platform, Bruce says "How are you?", puts his hand on my shoulder and the employee that took my iPhone 15 seconds before takes a pic. 5 seconds later it's over and done, I pick up my pre-signed book on the way out and that's it, I'm out the door. Never got a chance to tell him my favorite song was "Racing in the Streets" or that while I liked "Born to Run" my favorite albums were "Nebraska" and "The Ghost of Tom Joad" or anything like that.  Just "I'm Here, You're Here, We're Done". Didn't even get a "have a nice day" in parting.

But I did get my 5 seconds of fame and a crappy iPhone photo to commemorate the moment. I'd post it but it seems my iPhone and Yahoo Mail aren't on speaking terms at the moment.... Wait a minute, it looks like they kissed and made up, here's the pic.

All in all, it was a good day. Just not what I expected from a "book signing" event at all.

Hope all of you had a nice Friday or whatever day it is wherever you are.

Bill

IMG_0775.JPG

Edited by billg71
  • Like 6

Awesome surprise from your daughter. 

I've only been to one book signing - Myron Mixon. (not exactly the same fame) They handed out slips of paper that you wrote down what you wanted him to sign. You didn't get to have a long conversation but a few words back and forth at least.