Aussie Ora

Maybe my first tri tip

I found a new butcher that sponsors some local bbq teams that mainly use offset smokers. And a knowledge of U. S cuts he explained it perfectly where the cut comes from which was reassuring lol. Let me know what you think it turned out greatf453a442125e6194b63b19555d9496f1.jpggave it some pigs asseb12879ddd76ffb29c5b4deccc627838.jpgand on it goes at 250 loving the temp probe socket and instead of foil I've been using my KJ plates 0feddf4ad2553a85c690b0ddbc896259.jpggot it to an internal temp of 125 ready for the rest whilst I Ark up Ora9e4944caaa943ba5dc4ad76ebc4fd599.jpg7427d00fe02cebf8283834cbde799975.jpggot Ora upto 550 and gave it a sear ac791824ca8835386b1877d708464f94.jpganother rest66ed90daaa68fb721b90f230e97d72ca.jpgand ready to slice e93e6a55f5b2094bae5bb58cfa33379a.jpgand carved72de3ee80a0dc29cc09e8f502a17648e.jpgand plated went real simple on this one meat and chips lol901cb1981ef86ff9d5e99e189f830a2d.jpgwhatever it was it turned out great

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

• Like 2

Looks good. I've only cooked tri-tip a couple of times so I'm no expert but a tri-tip is where 3 separate muscles join hence the word tri. You also must slice it on three separate planes.  That looks like it's maybe only one or two of the muscles. With all 3 muscles you get a triangle shaped piece of meat. 

With that said I could be wrong - LOL 

• Like 1

Looks good. I've only cooked tri-tip a couple of times so I'm no expert but a tri-tip is where 3 separate muscles join hence the word tri. You also must slice it on three separate planes.  That looks like it's maybe only one or two of the muscles. With all 3 muscles you get a triangle shaped piece of meat. 

With that said I could be wrong - LOL 

I think he came close I did say to him you know it's a three way cut anyway I think I got close it tasted great some nice marbling.

Looks darn good to me. Only thing I'd suggest is maybe pulling it a bit sooner and getting it down directly over the fire for more of a crust. 

What @ckreef said about slicing here: 

I'm not into raw lol usually I would take it to 135 then sear what I love about a Kamado is that it retains moisture

2 minutes ago, Aussie Ora said:

I'm not into raw lol usually I would take it to 135 then sear what I love about a Kamado is that it retains moisture

If it's not trying to bite you back it's probably over-cooked! That's my motto.  :smt046

• Like 4

Still a bit of a challenge to find decent tri-tip here in Northern VA. Sometimes our butcher has one out (yup, ONE) if we're lucky, but extremely overpriced. Someone (over at Guru, I think) posted this supplier (for those of us in continental US): http://www.harterhousemeats.com/our-famous-36-ounce-tri-tip.html

I may give them a go once my freezer stocks decrease a bit.

1 hour ago, HalfSmoke said:

Still a bit of a challenge to find decent tri-tip here in Northern VA. Sometimes our butcher has one out (yup, ONE) if we're lucky, but extremely overpriced. Someone (over at Guru, I think) posted this supplier (for those of us in continental US): http://www.harterhousemeats.com/our-famous-36-ounce-tri-tip.html

I may give them a go once my freezer stocks decrease a bit.

The price looks good. 

I have been buying Wagyu tritip from Snake River Farms. Pretty pricey so I reserve it for special occasions. I tried the Costco version but it just didn't compare very well.

• Like 1

I get mine at Trader Joes. They have both plain and pre-marinated Santa Maria style (my fav). Even if I get a plain one, I end up doing it Santa Maria style with Oakridge rub and post oak & mesquite (I had some red oak, but it's gone and I need to add some to my next Fruita woods order).

3 hours ago, tony b said:

I get mine at Trader Joes. They have both plain and pre-marinated Santa Maria style (my fav). Even if I get a plain one, I end up doing it Santa Maria style with Oakridge rub and post oak & mesquite (I had some red oak, but it's gone and I need to add some to my next Fruita woods order).

Hadn't thought to look at Trader Joe's. We have one near us, but it is a zoo. Have to steel myself to go in there, but might be worth it for a good tri-tip.

It looks good to me. The only thing that I can see that he may have done wrong is cut it thin along the angle side.  This reuces the bend near the top which makes it hard to see the third muscle.  But that is tri-tip, I can tell by the way the meat swelled after cooking.  Very distinct looking cut of meat.

Tony, since you love Santa Maria style, can you try my rub once and let me know how it holds up against what you have had?  Here is one I created and have been very happy with over the past few years.  When I get a tri-tip.... this is what goes on it

1 tbsp kosher salt

1 tbsp fine ground black pepper

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp oregano 

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp sage powder

1 tbsp of dried rosemary or fresh chopped

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, bosco said:

It looks good to me. The only thing that I can see that he may have done wrong is cut it thin along the angle side.  This reuces the bend near the top which makes it hard to see the third muscle.  But that is tri-tip, I can tell by the way the meat swelled after cooking.  Very distinct looking cut of meat.

Tony, since you love Santa Maria style, can you try my rub once and let me know how it holds up against what you have had?  Here is one I created and have been very happy with over the past few years.  When I get a tri-tip.... this is what goes on it

1 tbsp kosher salt

1 tbsp fine ground black pepper

1 tbsp garlic powder

1 tbsp oregano 

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1/2 tsp sage powder

1 tbsp of dried rosemary or fresh chopped

I'd give that a try. Oakridge BBQ Santa Maria is my benchmark for Tri-Tip. Seriously awesome stuff.