tony b

Need help with spuds

I’ve tried 3 different times now recently to make SV mashed potatoes, but have not found success. Looking for some advice.

Lastest attempt was the best so far, but still not what I’d call acceptable. Cook was a mix of peeled russet potatoes (2) and unpeeled red bliss (3), medium dice (1/2”) and in the SV bag with ½ stick of butter and seasonings (SPG, Fox Point, and dried roasted garlic powder.) SV at 183F (why are ALL vegetables cooked at this same temperature??) for 60 minutes – the maximum time in the book for “small” potatoes. When I dumped out the potatoes and tried to rice them, I thought that I was going to break the ricer handle off (plastic). So, abandoned the ricer and went with the trusty hand masher. Added in some ½-n-½, crème fraiche, more butter, salted chives and white pepper. Hard work! Results were tasty, but still too hard/firm/lumpy.

Each of the last 3 tries, I’ve extended the cooking time 15 minutes; getting closer, but still not acceptable for mashing. This time, I didn’t add any ½-n-½ to the SV bag, just more butter, because the last batch came out “soupy,” and even harder to mash.

So, is the answer – more time? Higher temperature? Smaller dice? More liquid in the bag? Or, give up and go back to boiling?

Tony, we tried the Anova SV mashed potato recipe for the first time apart of T-Day dinner and was very happy with the results.   1-1/2 hours in the water bath at 194ºF.   I did push the cooked potatoes through my SS ricer but only because I couldn't find our masher :D.    

http://recipes.anovaculinary.com/recipe/sous-vide-garlic-and-rosemary-mashed-potatoes

Not mashed potatoes, but my sous vide potato fries impressed a very critical friend. He was dumbfounded that the texture I produced was even possible. Yet to a less critical eye they didn't tip their hand "sous vide". Rather, modern technique applied to plain traditional food.

Peel, portion, and vacuum pack potatoes. Sous vide starting in cold water, 86C for 60 to 90 minutes. Unpackage, set pieces on a drying rack, and train a fan on the rack for several hours. Now, pan fry with prejudice in ghee. Salt, Pepper, perhaps a bit of Maras or other chile pepper. Serve.

Thanks Syz, MacKenzie posted something similar using the Pressure Cooker. Will be fun to experiment with both techniques. She and I previously dabbled in doing frites sous vide and found that to get them right was a major PITA. Your's doesn't sound nearly as complicated. Ghee vs Duck Fat?? Both sound seriously yummy!

@dstr8 - That sounds more like it - 194F for 90 minutes! Plus, I loved their comment - (Do NOT use a food processor, electric mixer, or blender – due to the starch in the potatoes, if you over mix the potatoes you’ll end up with a gluey texture.) Been there, done that; got so pissed at the first batch of SV spuds that I broke out the immersion blender and guess what - wallpaper paste! Totally inedible. :mad: