http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/7396-numbering-posts/

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/7396-numbering-posts/?do=findComment&comment=83716

This is thread 7396. One doesn't need a number for the original post; ckreef's reply is comment number 83716.

Why would one want to use a natural language sentence to refer to a post, when one could use a direct link? The icon to the very far right on the gray bar above each post, that looks like a sideways wishbone, expands to give a link one can copy. The chain icon on the edit bar (fourth from left, after B I U ) lets one enter this URL into a new post.

At my college we distribute internal links using natural language, because the IT folks are terrified that we're too naive to spot a phishing email. They may be right. How can Antartica be so dry, with all that water? Because it's all frozen onto the ground. Academic intelligence is all frozen onto obscure subjects of little real world interest. Yet banks manage, and they deal with everybody. One of my banks shows me an image I chose when I log in, for reassurance. This issue drives me crazy.

So, yes, the spirit of this thread is that we should all be better spiders, weaving hypertext in the modern way, referring to other posts using the contemporary idiom supported by this forum software.

3 hours ago, Syzygies said:

http://komodokamadoforum.com/topic/7396-numbering-posts/?do=findComment&comment=83716

This is thread 7396. One doesn't need a number for the original post; ckreef's reply is comment number 83716.

Why would one want to use a natural language sentence to refer to a post, when one could use a direct link? The icon to the very far right on the gray bar above each post, that looks like a sideways wishbone, expands to give a link one can copy. The chain icon on the edit bar (fourth from left, after B I U ) lets one enter this URL into a new post.

At my college we distribute internal links using natural language, because the IT folks are terrified that we're too naive to spot a phishing email. They may be right. How can Antartica be so dry, with all that water? Because it's all frozen onto the ground. Academic intelligence is all frozen onto obscure subjects of little real world interest. Yet banks manage, and they deal with everybody. One of my banks shows me an image I chose when I log in, for reassurance. This issue drives me crazy.

So, yes, the spirit of this thread is that we should all be better spiders, weaving hypertext in the modern way, referring to other posts using the contemporary idiom supported by this forum software.

I agree, much easier to use the sideways wishbone thing. At least I think that's what you said. I love your posts, but I need to look up about 6 words and even then, I'm not sure I ever understand fully. ;)

• Like 1

5 hours ago, cschaaf said:

I agree, much easier to use the sideways wishbone thing. At least I think that's what you said. I love your posts, but I need to look up about 6 words and even then, I'm not sure I ever understand fully. ;)

I agree but it will be an interesting read and you can bank on the info.:) :smt023 :smt023

• Like 1

To me, it's more about not making the next reader scroll. If you say post 17, now I have to scroll to find what you meant. 

If you are referencing a post in the same thread, quoting it would be easier, I think.

if referring to a post in another thread, linking is easier.

I'm not against the numbers being added, though. 

• Like 1

On 12/6/2016 at 5:05 AM, Syzygies said:

Using the little wishbone only allows me to share the Post with other sites, not within this site.  Maybe I am missing something but I sure would like to know since referencing another Post by the Thread and the Post Number is handy.  I am using several different Forums for other hobbies and being able to share within the Forum is a nice feature.

35 minutes ago, FotonDrv said:

Using the little wishbone only allows me to share the Post with other sites, not within this site.  Maybe I am missing something but I sure would like to know since referencing another Post by the Thread and the Post Number is handy.  I am using several different Forums for other hobbies and being able to share within the Forum is a nice feature.

I used the little wishbone to find the URL of a post, which can be used anywhere on the web including this site. One can use a link to anywhere, on this site, using the little chain link (Link? Link? it's a pun) on the edit bar (fourth from left, after B I U ).

For example, here's a link to your post: Your post

I did that exactly as I explained. So one can share posts within this site.

It took 9 steps to put that link in.

1- Click on wishbone.

2-Click inside "link to post"

3-Click Copy

4-Scroll down to new post box.

5- Click in the box.

6-Click the chain.

7-Click inside the url box.

8-Click paste.

9- Click "insert in to post"

Yep, that wishbone is the way to go alright...

• Like 1

You can do it in fewer steps:

1. tap the wishbone

2. the link is already highlighted, so do a ctrl-c to copy

3. scroll down 

4. click in the reply box

5. ctrl-v to paste

If you don't like the way it posts, you can click the "Display as link instead" in the popup. 

It takes about 5 seconds and will take your readers maybe 3 seconds to find the exact post you are referencing.

Or, likely the easiest for both the poster and the people reading, just click the Quote button and then no one has to scroll to see what you are talking about. And it's one step.

1. Click Quote. It scrolls for you, it clicks in the Reply box for you, and it shows the reader exactly what you are replying to in 0 seconds. ;)

28 minutes ago, cschaaf said:

You can do it in fewer steps:

1. tap the wishbone

2. the link is already highlighted, so do a ctrl-c to copy

3. scroll down 

4. click in the reply box

5. ctrl-v to paste

If you don't like the way it posts, you can click the "Display as link instead" in the popup. 

It takes about 5 seconds and will take your readers maybe 3 seconds to find the exact post you are referencing.

Or, likely the easiest for both the poster and the people reading, just click the Quote button and then no one has to scroll to see what you are talking about. And it's one step.

1. Click Quote. It scrolls for you, it clicks in the Reply box for you, and it shows the reader exactly what you are replying to in 0 seconds. ;)

Okay!