ThreeDJ16

Guru Hints & Tips!

probe hole

KKeller,

On the KK you will find the probe hole, which is about two tile widths down from the edge of the lid, and offset toward the front of the grill a few inches, and then there is the EZ Q bushing, directly below the two acorn nuts that will hold the side trays. The EZ Q thingy is a bushing that turns in a sleeve to transmit the rotary force of the EZ Q. Make sure you don't try to knock that plug out. On my KK, the probe hole is indeed about 5/8, lined with a stainless steel tube, but has no plug in it.

Just bought some high-temp silicon stoppers to fit the probe hole .53" ID I think and the guru port hole (1.56" ID I think). I ordered two different sizes for each hole just to see which fits better. Ordered from www.mcmaster.com

They're supposedly good to 600 degF. I'll let you know how they work, and post the appropriate sizes and part numbers.

Just bought some high-temp silicon stoppers to fit the probe hole .53" ID I think and the guru port hole (1.56" ID I think). I ordered two different sizes for each hole just to see which fits better. Ordered from www.mcmaster.com

They're supposedly good to 600 degF. I'll let you know how they work, and post the appropriate sizes and part numbers.

Man, you should have ordered the Guru probe sleeving while you were placing an order from there. Stuff works great!

-=Jasen=-

Actually I did order the sleeving :), just forgot mention it......

McMaster is great, company uses them for many supplies, amazing thing is we only pay for ground shipping yet receive everything (almost) next day from Chicago, Atlanta or LA to Houston!!!

Yeah and they have great customer service too. They sent me one of the wrong sizes to begin with and shipped out the proper stuff the next day when I called them.

-=Jasen=-

One tip I keep forgetting to add here about the Guru. If anyone is having trouble with overshooting the temp initially (either starting to large a fire or leaving the lid open too long - whatever the reason) a good tip is to set it for a lower temp to begin with. Even though my Procom is tuned in pretty well for the KK (and do not have an overshoot issue), I still often set it for a lower temp first. Say 200, let it stabilize (not long, just 10-15 minutes), then bring it to 225 and do the same till you are at your desired set point (or start higher if a hotter setpoint range is desired).

-=Jasen=-

Guru Themps...

Hi Deej, if I set my guru to 340 (clipped on the top grate) my KK (Tel-Tru) is telling me the temp is 310.... is there that much in it (between the measurements from the dome and the top grate??? :eek:

PS Neither have been calibrated for a while (guru 3 years old; Tru a few months) :?

Nope, temp at the top grate is lower than what the guru is indicating...

I have the clip in a position about as far from the wall as the tip of the tel-tru, this is not intentional but I figured don't want to measure the "centre" of the grill (which is used by meat anyway :) ) and not too close to the wall....

These are my thoughts on using different temp indicating devices. First off, being they are using completely different methods for accomplishing temp measurements (one is mechanical one is electrical), there are bound to be errors between them. The response times will be different and other factors will influence differences. I would guess if you clipped your Guru probe to the Tru-tel tip and let the grill heat soak for an hour, the reading should be close. A reasonable test to see how accurate each device is, would be boil some water and check the temp as soon as it starts to boil. If you are happy they are correct, then don't worry about having all thermometers reading the same. Cook with the one or the other. This is what I do, if I am using the Guru, I do not even look at the Tru-tel as the Guru is where the meat is and I trust it. If I am doing a higher temp cook or not using the Guru, I am happy with Tru-tel reading even though I know it is higher than the grill surface (usually 25-50 degrees hotter and varies with how long the grill has been going).

-=Jasen=-

...I am happy with Tru-tel reading even though I know it is higher than the grill surface (usually 25-50 degrees hotter....-=Jasen=-

Exactly, I don't understand why Paul is seeing the reverse. :?

Few things I am confused about with his post. He is saying he has set the Guru at 340 (was that the temp readout or setpoint?). Another is he is saying top rack (main grill or upper top rack). All these things can factor in. If the meat is actually on the top rack, then a large mass of cold meat near the Tru-tel would bring it's temp down. But who knows. Really, all that matters is to test them both out where you are happy with them. Next is trust them and cook based on temps you are happy with them indicating. That is the part of learning any grill, trial and experiment till you get the results you want with the temps indicated by your devices. None of the equipment we are using is really that accurate anyway as there is too much room for error based on placement, air flow patterns and food position.

-=Jasen=-

...I am happy with Tru-tel reading even though I know it is higher than the grill surface (usually 25-50 degrees hotter....-=Jasen=-

Exactly, I don't understand why Paul is seeing the reverse. :?

Few things I am confused about with his post. He is saying he has set the Guru at 340 (was that the temp readout or setpoint?). Another is he is saying top rack (main grill or upper top rack). All these things can factor in. If the meat is actually on the top rack, then a large mass of cold meat near the Tru-tel would bring it's temp down. But who knows. Really, all that matters is to test them both out where you are happy with them. Next is trust them and cook based on temps you are happy with them indicating. That is the part of learning any grill, trial and experiment till you get the results you want with the temps indicated by your devices. None of the equipment we are using is really that accurate anyway as there is too much room for error based on placement, air flow patterns and food position.

-=Jasen=-[/quote:ahhbkyx9]

340 is how high I want the pit temp to go (setpoint doesn't go that high anyway? hmm crispy food :twisted: )

I'm measuring at the main grill (on the side but well away from the meat??)..

Granted there are temp differences I was just curious to know how much (i'm fairly precise with my temps and a diff of 25 degrees in a 15 cm space was I thought a bit much but hey what do I know... ;)

After 1 year of this original post,I have found it( I just bought Tlinder's Guru). I wish I'd have seen it back then,this would have saved me from replacing several probes on my assorted Polder thermometers. I'm going to order about 25 feet tomorrow from Mcmaster-Carr!For the price I don't know why they don't just manufacture them with this in place!

Any further issues or recommendations? Thanks Jasen

After 1 year of this original post,I have found it( I just bought Tlinder's Guru). I wish I'd have seen it back then,this would have saved me from replacing several probes on my assorted Polder thermometers. I'm going to order about 25 feet tomorrow from Mcmaster-Carr!For the price I don't know why they don't just manufacture them with this in place!

Actually, the folks at Guru sell replacement probes with a SS sleeve and higher temp rating. It is standard on the DigiQ and they sell them as an upgrade for the Procom. But I imagine they will also make them for the competitor.

-=Jasen=-

Actually, the folks at Guru sell replacement probes with a SS sleeve and higher temp rating. It is standard on the DigiQ and they sell them as an upgrade for the Procom. But I imagine they will also make them for the competitor.

-=Jasen=-

They do make and sell them for the competitor. Mine work great.