mguerra

Cleaning your grill grates

I wonder how putting the grates in the dishwasher would work if PBW was used as the detergent.  Might give it a go sometime.

Really though, my grill is over a year old and I may have tried to clean them once.  99% of the time though, if the grates have a loot of crud on them, I just crank the heat and burn most of it off, the rest scrapes off easy.

Don't know about yours, but the 23" KK grates would never fit in my dishwasher. And, PBW is best used as a soak, it would just be sprayed around in a dishwasher with minimal actual contact time, so I'm not sure how effective it would be in that application?? However, if you give it a try, please report back on how it worked. 

To be honest, Doc, I don't clean my grates that often either; like you, just Grill Floss. But, I do periodically soak the round drip pan in PBW to de-gunk it after a nasty cook or two. I do clean the rotisserie basket after each cook with PBW in a 5 gal bucket. Need to flip it end over end after a couple of hours, but it really does the job. Only downside of PBW is the price. But, I always have it around for the brew room cleanups anyway. I generally buy the 4# buckets at the local homebrew supply shop. 

• Like 1