mguerra

Water Heater Pan

The water heater pan has shown up in a few threads lately, in reference to cleaning the grill grates. It is also useful as a handy place to put a hot and/or dirty grill, a hot heat deflector, greasy tools, and so on. It is not terribly elegant nor attractive but quite functional in this application.

8 hours ago, tony b said:

Any rec's, Doc, on how best to plug the hole? Nut & bolt size? Rubber washers/gaskets, etc.

My original post just said to figure it out. Perhaps not so helpful, but you are standing in a box store (Lowes, Home Depot) with the hole you're trying to plug right in your hand. When Apollo 13 had to patch the command module air scrubbers to work in the LEM, they had to make do without a box store at their disposal. I wasn't more specific because the kinds of parts one might consider don't come branded, and different water heater pans have different sized holes?

I found some plastic parts that screwed together like a bolt and nut, nearly filling the hole, and added some gaskets to make the plug watertight. I thought about simply filling the hole (solder? glue? weld?) but my first draft plug worked, I stopping thinking about this.

I'm actually on my second pan. The plastic one didn't last; get metal.

The other shoe needs to drop, here. Oil change pans are nice idea; can one find one that is round, or large enough? I've seen cake pans this big; a cooking supply store? Though jury-rigging a water heater pan is likely to be the economy choice.

• Like 1

On 12/10/2016 at 12:35 PM, bosco said:

I bought plastic concrete mixing tubs from the Home Depot.  They work really well too.  Fits the large 32 grate

http://m.homedepot.com/p/Plasgad-Black-Large-Concrete-Mixing-Tub-887102C/205451585

I have the water heater pan for soaking my 23 ultimate grates but was wondering what to do with the grates from the 32 big bad.  Found this post by Bosco.  Will head off to the trade section B&Q when they open again after Christmas to see what I can find.  

• Like 1

I have one of those, I believe it was purchased at Home Depot and that's what I use it for...small batch cement.   This is much more functional for cleaning grates, and I was lucky enough to come across when I did. 30 diameter x 12 deep x 1/4 thick walls.  This was used industrially for holding 55 gal drums that developed a leak. As you can see the 23 grate sits in nicely and so do all the others collectively from the other grills. Water and Dawn are sufficient and PBS for a longer caustic soak. I dump the waste water into a sand filled hole. Unfortunately it's only a three season bath, the winter kills it's usefullness.  Good for the doggies too.

DSCF3286.JPG

DSCF3283.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for your suggestions @Tyrus and @Troble.  Not sure if I have done the right thing but I ended up ordering this relatively shallow platform. It is used for children's play pits and for mixing mortar.  Hoping it will work out...

Srendi® BLACK Large Plastic Builder Children Kids Play Mixing Tray Spot for Cement Mortar Sand Plastering Toy Fun Game School Play Time Colour MIXING TRAY
by EASY SHOPPING 4 HOME LTD
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077SJ3216/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_GFE6Fb2968KK3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

• Like 1

6 hours ago, tekobo said:

Thanks for your suggestions @Tyrus and @Troble.  Not sure if I have done the right thing but I ended up ordering this relatively shallow platform. It is used for children's play pits and for mixing mortar.  Hoping it will work out...

Hi @tekobo,

I've got one of these - in blue - I've got my doubts that it is going to be deep enough for soaking the grates.

I got mine for mixing the mortar when I was making my wood-fired oven ........ now there's a thing....

13 hours ago, RokDok said:

I've got one of these - in blue - I've got my doubts that it is going to be deep enough for soaking the grates.

I am hoping it will be fine for all but the top grate which has handles on both sides.  It says the inside depth is 4.5cm which should be enough for soaking the grates individually.  I just wanted something that I could store more easily.  Could be a fail...we shall see.  

• Like 2

Not to forget when your grate has finished soaking a special tool to scrub the still stuck on mess away is needed. This I use for cleaning my cast iron when relatively good efficiency. Using a new scrubby green pad is also good but it fades and wears the longer it's used so I found this with the scrubby doing an excellent job. On Amazon under Cast iron cleaning as a chain mail

DSCF3287.JPG

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I have the chain mail for cleaning pans in the kitchen. Works great. Be careful of the medallion and the ring. They are different materials and harder than the chain and will scratch some pans. I scratched a French steel sauté pan with it. Best technique, run a finger through the ring when you're using it to hold it away from the pan surface. 

I don't use this on my grates. I stick to the Grill Floss and I soak the rotisserie baskets and forks in PBW. No need to scrub at all, just wipe clean with a damp sponge. YMMV

• Like 1

This finally arrived today:

Srendi® BLACK Large Plastic Builder Children Kids Play Mixing Tray Spot for Cement Mortar Sand Plastering Toy Fun Game School Play Time Colour MIXING TRAY
by EASY SHOPPING 4 HOME LTD
Learn more: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077SJ3216/ref=cm_sw_em_r_mt_dp_GFE6Fb2968KK3?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1

It works for me in that I can soak a 32 BB main grate in it indoors and in the warm. 

IMG_8779.thumb.jpeg.1e5e566dec6d554c8755e05208c96e10.jpeg

I can reach it from either side of the island to scrub.

IMG_8781.thumb.jpeg.cb98b0d679643063fc250dd2a080833b.jpeg

I was worried about emptying it but The Husband came to the rescue with a siphon.  It took a while and then, when the water got too shallow for the siphon to work, I gently tipped what was left over into the sink. Happy with this solution. 

IMG_8782.thumb.jpeg.bb96fcddcc33c89ca5419cef6210ff4e.jpeg

• Like 3