billg71

Well, this was certainly strange(but a nice surprise)

I'm a UPS Choice member so I get an email the day before they deliver a package, I got one yesterday saying they would be delivering a package from Finex.

For those who aren't familiar with the name, Finex https://finexusa.com/ is a small business in Portland, OR that makes a line of heirloom-quality cast iron cookware. I had bought one of their 12" skillets back in October and had an issue with it(the lid rocked a little), they replaced it in due course and that was that. I love the skillet, BTW. Here's a link to their "About" video:

So I thought maybe they were sending me a hat or apron or something like that. But UPS Said the package weighed 4 lb. so I was a bit puzzled. So I went back through my email and I hadn't gotten any notification of an order that I might have forgotten, checked my credit card and Paypal account, no payments to them.

Got home today and there was the package, one of their 1-qt sauce pots!

IMG_0784.JPG

My memory isn't what it used to be, but I think I would remember ordering a $125 piece of cast iron cookware so I went back through email, credit cards and Paypal again. I hadn't paid Finex for anything since early October and that was just for the skillet/lid.

So I called, explained the situation and told the gentleman I would be glad to return it if he would send me a shipping label. He thanked me for my honesty and told me they had run a Cyber Monday deal where the sauce pot was included with the skillet purchase and my name must have somehow gotten on that list. And that I was welcome to keep it! :shock:

He said he would check to be sure they weren't giving away too many sauce pots, thanked me for being a customer and we parted ways.

Now that's the way to run a business!!

Edited by billg71
  • Like 3

They make really nice cast iron, there's a 21st century update in the design but I have no doubt their cookware will still be passed down into the 22nd century.

Mac, the sauce pot isn't machined smooth, it's straight out of the mould and just tumbled. Their skillets are machined smooth, here are a couple of pics:

IMG_0786.JPG

IMG_0787.JPG

That's the cast brass knob on the lid, how can you not love it?

They've pulled off a perfect marriage of engineering and art. Just like Dennis! How could you not want one?

Best,

Bill

Edited by billg71

Another point along this design spectrum:

SpringUSA Blackline SwissSteel Cookware

I have all but the largest of these pans; the 12 5/8" has an enormous handle. These have less design attitude than Finex; they're simply a perfected successor to either French carbon steel pans or American cast iron pans. They season like either. Smooth like French pans, heavy like American pans. I've tried a variety of the best regarded French pans, and Lodge and other traditional American pans, and I prefer these.

The design doesn't have attitude at all, really. Rather, simple perfection, how could its ancestors not achieve this design? The Finex pans have attitude, but I like their attitude. I'd have to try one to be sure, but my impression for now is that I still prefer SpringUSA.

Nice Thread to quality cast iron cookware, thanks!!

It figures, Finex is a Portland Oregon company.  Another reason to go south for another visit to the Rose City, good coffee, good doughnuts and now cast iron cookware!

Edited by FotonDrv
adsded text