Kamado Guru

One handed cook

Started by skreef, 19 minutes ago

1 post in this topic

skreef     2,232

• skreef
  • Lifetime Supporter
  • 1,769 posts

Since my accident, I have not cook, not counting the mac & cheese the other night. I told ckreef I will cook dinner.

So my first thought was is "what was I doing?"

But I think of my love who always cooks for me and his son.  ckreef works long days.. Wanted to give him a break.. So cooking for him was far more rewarding than all the challenges I faced in this cook .

Ok let's get started :

Getting the grill going. Ok since we left our mapp torch in Florida at his sister's, we back to old school.

3fe0954291194d760f143bb577d4ca1f.jpg

Ok thats not going to happen.. Can't open jar.. Ok I got this.. I make new ones.

6b2501a6304f8f5d1e154dc3bc747e82.jpg

Light the grill..

82b507ee0bd34d2488b622e7e0606266.jpg

I decided on

Chicken & Wild Rice Soup

Cornbread

Blueberry cobbler

I got the grill going for a target temp of 350*

Ok getting the cobblers together.

Now "how do I open these cans?" 1e729e0e46649ac9d8b9906c17832752.jpg

Well that was a true challenge to open them.. 4 cans 20 minutes later.. I got Blueberries opening them left handed.. With flour, sugar and milk.

76e89012e7888a0fa92de28b576c37d0.jpg

On the grill :

24105dff4ad3a623e5604690018a00dc.jpg

Ok on to my Chicken.. For my challenge, the chicken is in a seal pack.. Now how to get them out.. I can't work the scissors right  handed.... Ok maybe 2 hands. With a little help with my right I  got it.. The bag look all chewed up but it work.. So I got the grill to go up in temp to 450*

I use Montreal Chicken. Didn't want to alter the flavor of my soup to much . And it work perfect.. On grill pic. Almost done.

e774da05dfc3bf8bd87e553d302e04b1.jpg

Now time to get the soup part done. Wild Rice and Broth with milk and a bit of starch to thicken it up.

9cdd4e4660ec36bf99220d93d5803f60.jpg

Soup coming along nicely. It reduce perfectly.

6c98bfa74738eb8423dce1d6624f5c20.jpg

I made cornbread tops. Jiffy mix with egg, and cream corn. Ckreef's favorite way to eat cornbread.

Dinner is served:

bdb5a8908ba06f3cd11bf7e482fb873f.jpg

The dinner turn out great. I had my doubts but with my love's help at the end. It was great..

Mrs. Reef's Bistro

Reply to this topic...

•  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  •  
  • Like 2

If I knew you weren't in pain I would be LMAO!  Kudos for being such a good person as to cook such a fine meal through the disability of one paw.  I suppose your Physical Therapist wouild be proud of you for all those range of motion exercises you must have to do achieve that meal.

I hope you significant other appreciated it as much as I enjoyed the narrative :-)

• Like 1

20 hours ago, FotonDrv said:

If I knew you weren't in pain I would be LMAO!  Kudos for being such a good person as to cook such a fine meal through the disability of one paw.  I suppose your Physical Therapist wouild be proud of you for all those range of motion exercises you must have to do achieve that meal.

I hope you significant other appreciated it as much as I enjoyed the narrative :-)

Thank you FontonDrv. Lol.. It should have been video.. It would have been a comedy... Lol... I started the grill at 3. We ate at 8...sitting down for dinner, I  hope it taste good going thru all that. I was surprised at myself,  it tasted great.. Yayy me. Lol. 

• Like 1

On 12/17/2016 at 3:37 AM, skreef said:

Thank you FontonDrv. Lol.. It should have been video.. It would have been a comedy... Lol... I started the grill at 3. We ate at 8...sitting down for dinner, I  hope it taste good going thru all that. I was surprised at myself,  it tasted great.. Yayy me. Lol. 

When I read your Post I was reminded of a friend who does NOT cook, trying to surprise his with with a birthday cake.  They lived 30+ miles from the nearest grocery store out in the boonies to set the scene.

He pulls out a box of cake mix when his wife is at work and tries to follow the directions.  While he has the mixer in the batter the instructions said to beat until the batter was slightly stiff, so he lifts the beater out of the batter.  Needless to say he is a typical guy and has the mixer going full speed, so when he lifts it the batter hits himself, the wall, the floor the ceiling and the stove.  He panics because he realizes that most of the batter is on the walls and ceiling, and at that point he decides to drive into town to get another box of cake mix.  Now the fun begins, the dog takes advantage of his leaving with all those treat spread about the kitchen.  The dogs continues to wreck the kitchen in order to get every last morsel so when our hero returns to finish his mission of make a surprise cake he finds that not only does he have to make another cake, which he never completed in the first place, but he had to clean and restore the kitchen to its previous glory after the carnage that the dog left!!

He begins the process all over again and this time remembers to not lift the madly spinning mixer from the batter.  He gets the cake into a nicely greased pan and puts it into the oven.  He is relieved that his mission is almost complete.  He has the premade frosting at the ready, so he figures he can sit down on the couch and watch some football while the cake is baking and have a few cocktails while the process is merrily baking in the oven.  He forgets one critical step, the oven timer....

When the smoke alarm jolted him into consciousness the cake was badly burned beyond redemption.  Our hero had not purchased a backup box of cake mix so he leaves the house one last time to go get another box.  He arrives home just in time to see watch his wife drive up as he is dumping the cake mix into the last bowl.  Her first words when she came through the door were, "what the hell happened here".

The moral of the story is never leave a long haul trucker in charge of baking a cake!  SKREEF is the complete opposite of my trucker friend., she manages to persevere to true pain to please her sweetie.  My hat is off to you!

• Like 2